41.

Madeleine stared at the thick and weird-looking liquid slowly moving around into the see-through container with a certain amount of disgust as she boredly flipped it over and over again, hesitating to pop it open and swallow its contents.

She dreaded to feel its taste again. That feeling of its gooey texture as it slid down her throat, toying with her self-control and gag reflex.

She wasn't being picky. The holy universe knows she wasn't, not after everything she had endured back on Earth right after the start of the pandemic.

All those days of painful hunger and thirst couldn't be erased from memory, no matter how many days of better nourishment, they were there to stay, forever engraved into her body's chemical composition.

Sighing, she realized how much she was actually missing to have a scrap of real food, and the taste and feel of a hot coffee in the morning.

She could almost smell it, taste it on her tongue as she reminisced about the ones that Tate used to prepare on their lucky days...

The girl moaned in complaint, inadvertently drawing the princess' attention as she continued to eye that container with dread and with a deep breath, she fastly popped it open and swallowed its contents in two big gulps before slamming it back on the table in a rather unceremonious way.

She let out a disgusted noise, only now noticing that Meoni was already staring at her as her gaze casually fell on the princess.

"Don't you feel tired already? It's been three days," She commented as she watched the illyrian female laying sprawled in that same chair she'd firstly seen her when she'd woken up.

It'd been three days already, and oddly enough not once had she seen the princess sleep or at least rest for a little bit.

"Similar to laxians, illyrians are not affected by a...circadian rhythm? That's what earthians call it?" The princess casually replied with a pensive look as she dangled one bare foot above the chair's armrest, earning herself a small nod from Madeleine.

"We only rest when needed," She completed her answer, earning herself another small nod from the girl before her gaze travelled to their other non-human companion, who by the way was still lying in that same position they'd lastly placed him in, completely unconscious.

"He's...not moving. He didn't even move once," Madeleine voiced out her thoughts after a moment of silence as she pensively peered at Emerick, watching him lay there as still as a statue, save for his almost imperceptible thoracic movement as he slowly and steadily breathed.

"Why is he not moving?" She questioned, casually raising herself from her seat to walk towards the motionless BloodHound.

"Why do you move while resting? I almost believed that your brain had suffered a damage, the first time I'd witnessed it," The girl abruptly stopped, feeling a little bit offended at first as she was about to throw the princess a narrowed glare before quickly remembering that she wasn't conversing with a fellow human. And with a long exhale, she simply answered,

"I don't know. All humans do,"

"Why? Why would you uselessly lose energy whilst in resting phase?" The princess pressed even further -much to Madeleine's annoyance- making her express an eye-roll even though she continued to look at Emerick, choosing to leave Meoni's question unanswered as she obviously did not know how to answer to that anyway.

There was something else currently poking at her, making her feel so...curious.

So she approached until she was standing right next to the bed, her hand slowly and hesitantly stretching out to try and trace her fingers through his perfectly-looking hair when a bigger hand suddenly shot out of nowhere, firmly wrapping around her wrist and effectively stopping her.