38.

Home.

She couldn't believe it. She was finally going back home.

Home!

She did a happy dance within her mind, barely containing her excitement as she let that giddy smile spread over her lips, her sparkling gaze thievishly shifting between Meoni and Emerick as they both walked a few steps ahead of her.

"How much time do we have?"

"Eleven earthian minutes, at best,"

Madeleine listened to them converse as she quietly followed them through the maze-like palace.

"You truly are skillful, laxian. How did you succeed?" Meoni asked, her long and silky black tresses swishing over her bare back as she turned her head to the side and rose her sight to look at Emerick.

"I shot him in the head. Five times, to be precise," He simply answered, keeping his gaze trained ahead.

"What? H-how-" She stuttered with utter astonishment.

"He was completely distracted by Madeleine. Apparently, that is actually possible,"

"I did not fully believe either that I could temporarily eliminate him so fast. Until I realized that he did not even sense my presence," Emerick explained, receiving an incredulous snort from the princess.

"Well that is something I could never believe under ordinary circumstances. But you, little earthling," She turned to look over her shoulder, directly at Madeleine as she expressed a knowing smirk.

"You are no ordinary human being, are you?"

"There is something within you, aside from that ancient illyrian DNA. Something much stronger," She pensively said with a look of wonder, receiving a lost one from Madeleine.

"Like what?" Her eyebrows scrunched up with confusion.

Unfortunately, Meoni didn't get to answer as Emerick suddenly tensed up again, swiftly turning around to face Madeleine as well.

Her breath hitched up within her throat as she found those gloomy and darkened eyes peering right back into her own, his touch creating a small pool of heat dancing in her stomach as he gently wrapped his hand around her arm.

"Stay close, and please don't try to trade your life for my own again. I am far from worthy,"

Her lips parted, having yet to react as he turned back around and prepared his guns, positioning his body so that it was serving as a living shield for her.

Her mind still reeled after his words, everything else droned out as it forcibly lured her back to the memory of what she'd almost said to him earlier.

No. She did not want to think about it. She just couldn't. She didn't want it to be true.

The possibility...of her being in love with-

No!

Her hands unconsciously clenched over the warm and smooth surface under her palms, only now realizing that she was actually holding onto Emerick's waist as she felt his muscles tense.

"Don't be afraid, Madeleine. You're safe now. I will take you back to Earth,"

Her eyes widened, warmth filling her entire being at the sound of his words. And before she could even stop herself, she wrapped her arms around his torso and hugged him as tight as she could, sticking her forehead against the middle of his hot and muscular back.

"Madeleine-"

Emerick's breath caught up in his throat, the feel of the little earthling's fragile arms around him evoking a completely new and foreign sensation within his chest cavity.