Vol. 5, Chapter 6 - | New Companion Time

Part1

(Ayanokoji POV)

It was the final round for this chess tournament. Because of how long this was taking, Karma and I had to skip out on Early Bird.

Our designated area will be assigned to us in 10 minutes. Even if I were to finish this next match within that time, just getting to our next spot was impossible. I'll have to leave it to Karma to earn us an arrival point - not like it's worth that much without both of us, and the Early Bird Bonus.

As preparations for the final match was underway, we were called over to the front. It's there where we'll conduct the finals.

As I approached my area, I spot my next opponent, Horikita Suzune, already seated on her seat.

"We both made it, Ayanokoji-kun." She said.

"Seems we have."

"I expected nothing less from someone, who could go toe-to-toe with Sakayanagi-san."

"I expected nothing less from someone, who was taught under my tutelage."

"While I'd like to thank you for complimenting me, I wouldn't want to stroke your ego."

Ouch.

I sat down on my seat, and waited for them to finishing with preparations. As I did, Horikita and I made small talk.

"I saw Vice President, Kiriyama scurry off from you with a distressed look. What did you do?" She probed.

By that, she was referring to my verbal assault on the man.

"Nothing much, really. I just beat him in chess. That's all."

She scowled. "Lying won't get you out of this. As a member of the student council, I have a right to know. Remember, among the council, he's second in power only to Nagumo-senpai. Whatever happened between you two, I'm hoping it won't escalate. He seemed very distressed."

Disrespecting the one holding the title of 'Student Council Vice President' was a bold move; one not many would dare to make - maybe Karma, Ryuen, and Kiryuin would, but even Sakayanagi would watch her tone. However, I have my reasons.

"Whatever happened between us is private. I'd rather you not get involved." I remarked, coldly.

She paused in silence for a minute before continuing.

"Can you at least assure me, that this won't cause any more problems in the future?"

I nodded.

"Yes. Like I said, it was a matter between us."

"Alright." Said Horikita apprehensively.

Truth be told, I really couldn't assure that it won't. I just needed her off my case.

"Okay! Are you guys ready?"

Approaching our table was none other than Hoshinomiya-sensei. It was brief, but she sent me a menacing glance. She must be very unhappy of how I've treated her for the past few hours.

I nodded.

"Yes, sensei." Said Horikita, compliantly.

"Very well then. You already know the rules at this point, so no point in me going over them again." She explained dryly.

It was probably more like she wanted to get this over with so she could get rid of me. I honestly don't blame her.

"Ready?"

Both Horikita and I stared at the chess board. Since she was playing as white, she gets to go first. I can tell she's determined to win this, knowing full well how much she struggled to go up against me before, even when I'm massively holding back.