Vol. 5, Chapter 4 - Chess Time | Teacher's Offer Time

(Part 1)

(Karma POV)

The next Designated Area is gonna be assigned soon. Right now I'm moving away from D9 asap in order to avoid missing out on Early Bird. Luckily, I was able to step out of D9 just in time, and in to D10 with a minute to spare.

Once the clock hit 9 am, our next Designated Area showed up, D9. I took one step backward into D9 from D10, and earned an Arrival Bonus.

"Phew. That was close." I muttered to myself.

Had I been a minute too late, we could've lose out on Early Bird. Waiting for my partner, I made my way over again to Sakayanagi-san.

"Hello." I greeted as I approached her.

She seemed taken aback by my immediate return.

"Well this is a surprise. Back so soon?"

I shrugged. "Well this is our Designated Area."

"I see. Well in that case it would seem that we would be able to chat some more."

"I suppose I can spare a few minutes while I wait for my partner to arrive."

"Is he close?"

A spark of brilliance struck my head. I fought the smirk, that was about to crawl its way over to my face.

"With his speed, it shouldn't take long."

We ended up chatting about various topics while we waited, all the while I started typing away on my tablet. Surely enough, Kiyotaka finally showed up, earning us another Early Bird, and Arrival Bonus. This puts our total to 205 points. Although our placement in the leaderboards didn't change, it did help narrow the gap between us, and 5th place. However, narrowing the gap wasn't our main concern right now.

"Took you long enough." I said to Kiyotaka.

"Good morning, Ayanokoji-kun." Sakayanagi-san greeted him.

"Good morning, Sakayanagi. I assume Ichinose, and Shibata aren't with you?"

She shook her head. "No. Our Designated Area is a good distance from here."

"I see. Actually, I've been wondering about your group."

"What of it?"

"Are you allowed to receive Early Bird?"

"Ah yes. I've already explained this to Akabane-kun here. The school was graciously kind enough to-"

I started reading out the lines in the notepad app I had written down, while I was conversing with Sakayanagi-san earlier.

"Underneath the twilight hour, the small maiden gazed at the horizon, whilst sipping her iced tea beneath her parasol. In the midst of taking in the view, a strong breeze passed, and swept away her sun hat."

"Karma?" Kiyotaka asked curiously, but I ignored him. From the corner of my eye, I could see Sakayanagi-san smiling, though her smile did not reach her ears. I continued with my narration nonetheless.

"Unable to retrieve the hat herself due to her unfortunate condition, and without any of her mandatory volunteers around to aid her, she resigned herself to a helpless defeat. She let out a deep sigh, and slumped back in her chair. However, just when she thought she lost hope, her hat was placed back on her head."

From the corner of my eye, I can see that Kiyotaka was confused - well you can't see it in his facial expression, but I can see the cogs in his brain moving, and Sakayanagi-san was discreetly gripping her cane tightly, with a gaze that looked like they could kill a man.