Siren - Chapter 26

Start from the beginning

His thoughts were broken by Pontus.

“The Killer has dropped anchor, and we’re setting up camp in our usual spot. It’s just inside the trees. The darkness does wonders for hiding out.”

Mallach accompanied Pontus to his tent, which was still being set up.

“So, Tresham, tell me, how exactly did you get caught up with Reilly’s daughter, anyway?”

Mallach laughed nervously. He wondered how Pontus would feel if he knew he had tried to kill Orion’s “little pumpkin”.

“It’s kind of a long story,” he admitted, “but we’re on this mission together. If it weren’t for Clara, things would be much worse.”

Pontus raised a brow. Mallach could tell he knew there was more to the story. But he shrugged, lighting his dull cigar and taking a few puffs. Mallach coughed, having always despised smoking.

“Not much for cigars?”

“No.”

“Ah. Well, I suppose you’d best be on your way. Find something to do, say, putting up the tents? With me, it doesn’t matter if you’re a pauper or a prince. You do your share of work if you want to be fed.”

After helping to set up some of the tents, Clara wandered away to find Pontus. He was tugging on his tent cover, securing it to a peg in the ground. He noticed the golden dragon necklace with the glinting ruby eyes. He shuddered.

“Tell me your father didn’t give you something so foul.”

“What?” replied Clara, offended. “What’s wrong with dragons?”

“If I ever encounter another one, it’ll be too soon. Especially here.”

Clara’s eyes widened, thinking instantly of the Dragon Prophet.

“Do you… do you mean to say that there is one here – alive?”

Pontus looked around before answering.

“Yes.” He said quietly, his face turning a shade lighter.

“Cap’n!” called Reginald. “Yer needed elsewhere!”

Clara looked at Pontus, and he clapped her on the arm before walking away.

Later in the day, Clara approached Pontus’ tent with caution. He had seemed extremely frightened of the mere mention of dragons.

“May I come in?” she asked, opening the flap of the tent slightly.

“Yes.”

She came inside the large tent, carpets on the floor and pillows thrown in the corner. A small table one the left hand side, and a cot with a makeshift mattress beside it. Two of the glowing fish hung in bowls from the ceiling. 

Pontus sat down in the cushioned chair that his crew had brought for him inside his tent. The fabric fluttered in the breeze from the sea, the smell of salt making Clara ache for the water. She tried to focus on the task at hand. She had to find out if Klardir was still alive.