17- Confrontation

(Third Person POV)

"Who sent this to you?"
Clint asks the brunette as she takes her phone back.

"Yelena did. She said my mom hired her to kill you. My mom doesn't even jaywalk and she's working with the mob?"
Kate rambles before she stands up.

"I need to talk her"

"Kate, you need to calm down okay? Let's talk first"
Y/n speaks as she watches her fiancé dial Eleanor's number only for it to go to voice mail.

"Your mom needs our help. That video isn't good, Kate. Kingpin will react, and it's gonna be big"

"This is my mess. You should go be with your family. Please take Y/n with you and I'll pick her up when I'm done"

"What? No. I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to help you, Kate. It's not your choice to make. I love you more than anything and I'm not going to sit by when you could get seriously hurt"

"Y/n's right. You're my partner, Kate. Your mess is my mess and I'm not going anywhere until this is finished"
Y/n wraps Kate in an embrace when she sees tears fall down her face. She feels Kate hold her tighter and lay her head on her shoulder.

When they take their seats on the train, Clint speaks up.

"I'm really sorry for how this has turned out Kate"

"I can't think about it right now. We need to focus on tonight"

"That's true. We need a lot of gear for this. Like a bunch of trick arrows"
Kate perks up at that.

"You can make more?!"
Clint just smirks at her before the trip gets off the train.

"Have any of you got that pepper spray?"
Clint calls out and Y/n hands him the spray.

"Thanks Y/n"
He smiles at her before continuing the trick arrow making process.

"What's this one?"
Kate asks as she takes out a trick arrow head.

"That's way too dangerous"

"Too dangerous. Got it"
She mumbles as she makes the label.

"So, is this party a fancy thing?"
Clint asks with a nervous tone.

"Yeah. It's formal"
Y/n replies with a laugh.

"Great"
Clint mumbles sarcastically.

"You don't have to do thing, you know. It's part of the job and it's always inconvenient. It's lonely and you will get hurt. Heroes need to make tough decisions. If you're doing this, I want you to be ready"
Clint looks at the girls.

"When I was younger, aliens invaded. And I was alone. And I was terrified. But then I saw you, fighting aliens with a stick and a string. I saw you jump from that building even though you can't fly, even though you don't have superpowers. And I thought, 'if he could do that, then I didn't have to be scared.' You showed me that being a hero isn't just for people who can fly or shoot lasers out of their hands, it is for anyone, who is brave enough to do what right, no matter the cost. I'm ready"

"Besides, there's no way I would ever let Kate get lonely. I'll be with her through all this hero stuff"
At her fiancés words, Kate wrapped her arms around her waist and pulled her into her lap, placing a soft kiss on her lips.

"I don't see my mom yet"
Kate says when the trio walked into the holiday party.

"What do you see?"
Clint asks.