Chapter Nine

Today for once in a while I had a busy schedule. I had to wake up earlier than normal to get Orson and Embry ready for their first day at school. Orson was less than pleased that he had to wear a uniform and that I had to do his hair for the day. He was happy however that he had Pascal's delicious breakfast, and that Pascal even made them a packaged lunch for them to take to lunch. I was sure that Orson wouldn't even touch the school's food. I packed everything away in their bags and had coffee while they ate their breakfast.

After breakfast, I pack them into the car and drive with them to drop them off. Orson was easy, he jumped out of the car before we even made it through the drop-off line, and raced inside without even looking back. Embry was a little harder, I had to carry her inside the building and sign her in with her Kindergarten teacher, and she was less than pleased that I wasn't walking inside with her.

"I'll see you this afternoon, right at 3 o'clock," I tell her, as her new teacher guides her into the room. Embry doesn't start a fuss, she just looks at me with her big sad eyes, and it makes me want to scoop her into my arms, and take her with me, but I don't. I leave her behind, and let the car take me back to the estate. Once I'm there, I take one of Misha's cars and start my trip into the city for my interview/meeting with Eris's friend, Constantine Albright—Editor and Chief of In the City Magazine, one of the top Magazines in the city. Considering not only was Eris a rock band manager, and she's a music producer, I wasn't shocked that she bumped elbows with people like Constantine. People in my field could only dream of even stepping into the same room as Constantine—and now I had a meeting with her, and it was all because I knew a gardener.

I had more than enough time before my interview when I made it to the city and decided to stop for some more coffee. My body was buzzing with nerves, and I didn't get much sleep the night prior. Maybe it was the first day of school jitters for the kids, or maybe it was interview jitters but by the time I had fallen asleep, I was waking up to my alarm only a few moments later.

I stop at a coffee shop near the office, drinking it down as I walk to the office. Before I open the door, my phone rings, and with the few moments, I had to spare I answer. "Good morning,"

"Where are you? Are you at the estate?" Matilda questions. "Because I need you in the city, like now!" Matilda nearly shouts.

"Uhm, lucky for you I already am in the city—I have an interview," I say.

"What? What happened to the kids? The house?" Matilda says.

"I still have it, calm down, but the kids are starting school and I need something to do in my free time," I tell her. "Hurry, what do you need? I have to go up for my interview," I tell her.

"Ma and Pa have arrived at Aunt Janice's house," Matilda tells me. "I have classes all day, so thankfully I have an excuse not to answer their call," she says.

"They actually came?" I say.

"Yes! And you will not believe it—Everyone else came too," she says.

"Whose everyone else?" I question.

"Sebastian, Harry, Denise, Clover, Ash, Chris, and of course Penelope, even their husbands came," Matilda says.

"And they all can fit in Janice's spot?" I question.

"I guess, you know how ma and pa make things work," Matilda says. "Can you meet me after your interview? I'm scared they're going to ambush me on campus, I've been avoiding Sara like the plague," Matilda tells me.