Chapter Eleven

My father was built like a brick wall. He was tall, had broad shoulders, and had a hard rough face from years of working on the farm. He dressed as most farmers did, with a plaid button-up, dirty jeans, and dusty old boots that have seen better days. He towered over everyone, like a statue, looming, cold, and always judging.

When I turned around, I saw him, standing across the street in front of a gas station. He stood with Sebastian and Clover, all three of them looking at us like we jumped out of the sewers. My first instinct was to run; Matilda knew better than to keep my pace, and we could get away from them easily—Lose them in the crowd, or even jump on a bus. But I had Orson and Embry, and from how I was holding Embry I could tell the both of them were already getting worried about the situation. I was also with Casper, who wouldn't know to keep up with us—And he wouldn't be able to just leave his boyfriend. So, I just stood in my spot, frozen, like someone had touched me during a game of tag.

My father crosses the street with Sebastian and Clover, and I could feel the fear I had as a child bubbling up. But I kept my ground, I couldn't freak out, not in front of Embry and Orson. Matilda cowered behind me, standing solid next to Casper who was still confused at what was fully happening.

"Soncerae, it's really you," my father stops in front of me.

What were the odds they be here? How did they find us so quickly?

"Still in the city," I push out. "Getting some sightseeing done?" I question.

"I told you I wasn't leaving this god-forsaken city, without my daughter," my father bites, before looking at Embry and Orson. "Who are these children? Did you have children out of wedlock? You godless whore?"

The words cut through the air sharply, and I can tell Orson is stunned. "I would appreciate if you didn't speak like that in front of the children," I say slowly, still squeezing Embry to my side. "I'm a nanny,"

"That's how you're getting by? You might as well have become a housewife?" Clover scoffs.

"Well actually Clover, I only have to take care of the children, my boss has a maid to clean, and chef to cook—So really, it cuts the slave labor down to a minimum, and plus I'm getting paid for it," I quip at her, and she narrows her gaze at me.

"Don't you dare speak to your sister like that," my father barks.

"And don't you dare speak to me like I'm your child—I thought I wasn't? I thought I was exiled? You'd exile Matilda too if you weren't trying to marry her off like she's cattle," I bite, my father raises his hand, and my stomach twist.

"Is everything alright here?" I hear Misha's voice cut through the air, and I can't help but feel relief. I turn and Misha approaches with Macintosh, Casper at once running to her boyfriend's side. Orson darts to his father's side, standing near him for protection.

"This doesn't concern you," my Father growls at Misha.

"Since you're harassing my nanny, I think it does concern me," Misha says. "And I don't like that you've scared my children, now I will ask again, is everything alright here?" Misha says, his tone low and irritated. My father cocks his head at Misha, seemingly challenging him, before stepping back.

"This isn't over," my father bites, looking back at Matilda and me. "You will not turn your back on your family,"

"You're not my family," Matilda shouts, before running over to Misha, and standing behind him. My father seems surprised at the outburst, Matilda was never the one to speak back to him or our mother. She just smiled and bared her teeth and stuck it through. Sebastian and Clover seemed appalled by the entire interaction, but I couldn't care less. I just watched my father, I watched him every move—How his eyebrow twitched, how he looked prepared to jump and grab us if he had to. Instead, he steps back and turns, walking away, followed by Sebastian and Clover. Clover gave me one last look of distaste, before turning and following them.