Chapter One

"It's not you-It's me," Dalton sits across from me. He wears the shirt I bought him for Christmas, and although I know, he shaves every morning, he has a five-a-clock shadow that I can't seem to ignore. He clearly hadn't brushed his hair in days and smelled like the underside of my younger brother's bed. "It's just-We're going on different paths and,"

"How long have you been sleeping with her?" I question, and Dalton sucks in a breath. He clicks his teeth, sitting back in his seat with a huff.

"Rae," he starts, and I click my tongue back at him, slowly lifting my tea glass and sipping the hot liquid. "Not long," he says.

"I find that hard to believe," I say, setting down my teacup. "I will get my things from your apartment, and I'll be gone by the afternoon-By the way, Jason and Louis want to kick you out, they think you're a terrible roommate, but they're too scared to say anything to you," I say, pushing out of my seat. "I hope you're happy," I say, dropping a few crumpled bills on the table before stepping away. "And you smell horrendous, I hope your new girlfriend has a bad sense of smell because she'll get tired of you quick," I state, before stepping away from the table and pushing out of the café.

I walk down the street as quickly as I can. My heart was thudding against my chest, and it felt like my throat was squeezing close. I make a sharp left and head straight down into the subway, pushing through the crowd and trying my hardest not to scream. When I make it to the platform, I lean against a wall taking a deep breath. After a moment I lean up against the wall, sliding down and pulling out my phone calling Casper and hoping he answered.

Thankfully he did. "Quick I'm headed into a gig," Casper whispers.

"Dalton broke up with me-And now I'm homeless," I state.

"Hold up wait whoa," Casper gasps. "When? Where? And where is he so I can kick his ass," Casper growls.

"Just now, and Java Bean-That ass hole knows I love Java bean," I say, pulling my legs into my chest not even bothering to think how dirty the floor I was sitting on was. "And I just need a place to stay-Where are you?"

"I'm on the upper side! I can get Atlas to pick you up! Or maybe Mindy," Casper says.

"Both of them hate me Cas!" I state.

"Atlas does not hate you! You guys just had sex and then you ended things!" Casper states.

"There was nothing to end, he wanted to keep things casual, so I did and then I started dating Dalton that isn't my fault, he started dating Kathleen and now they're practically married-She doesn't like me very much either," I spill out. "Why doesn't anyone like me" I sigh, resting my head on my knees.

"Baby girl," Casper sighs. "I'll cancel my gig, but you owe me big time, I'll be at your house in an hour-Alright?" Casper says.

"Thank you, you're a lifesaver," I breathe out. "I love you,"

"I love you times a million," Casper kisses back, before ending the call. If there was one person, I knew I could count on. It was Casper. When I told my mother I wanted to go to school for fine arts and photography, and not stay home and get married to Jimmy Henson, a farmer's son. Casper was the one that let me stay in his house until my mother calmed down. When I moved into the city to go to school, Casper was at my side, we lived together all of the college until we graduated, and I met Dalton-And then I moved in with him. Casper was the only stable person in my life.

I hear the approaching train and scramble to my feet. I dust myself off, joining the waiting passengers and ignoring the looks I was receiving. I step onto the train, stepping to the back before it got too crowded. I pull out my earbuds pulling out and plug them in-I quickly get lost in my music, it was the only thing that made me feel good. The only thing that made me feel sane, that and my art. I took pictures for the school paper, but that was nothing compared to my real interest. Casper was my main muse; he was the only person that let me get creative. Everyone else barely let me take their picture, they always had excuses, or we had creative difficulties. Soon I wouldn't have to worry about any of that because people would hire me for my work, and not volunteer to help me.