Chapter 12

Monday morning Menma sat patiently in his seat, tapping his headband unconsciously as Iruka-Sensei started calling out the teams and their Instructors.

    “Team 4 will be…led by…”

    “Team 5…”

    “Team 6…”

    “Team 7,” Menma perked up, if he remembered correctly, his mother and father were both in team 7 when they were his age. And if he thought hard enough, he thinks his mother mentioned leading his own team 7 at one point. Iruka continued, a small smile trying to force its way to his features, “Team 7 will be Uzumaki Boruto, Uchiha Sarada, and Menma. Led by Konohamaru Sarutobi. Team 8 will be-” Sarada poked Menma and shot him an excited smile, clearly happy to be placed in a team with him. 
    Boruto, who now sat in the row with them, tried to keep up his appearance. But Menma could tell he was happy too. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    The trio met their sensei not too long after Iruka released them, and he seemed real nice. He introduced himself to them properly, and took the time to get to know them a little better before he started explaining what their jobs would be.

    “Alright,” Konohamaru announced, placing his hands on his hips, “so as Genins fresh from the Academy, we will be responsible for D-rank missions in between training. Those would be things like farming, or babysitting work, “ Konohamaru gave an apologetic smile when he saw the look on Borutos face. “Not much fun, I know. But during training you’ll learn abilities that will enable you to slowly move up the ladder of ranks. So you can start going on actual missions.”

    “Thats sounds fair,” Menma stated. 

    “Huh,” Boruto gaped at him, “What do you mean!?”

    “Menma’s right, Boruto,” Sarada rolled her eyes, “at our current skill level, we wouldn’t be able to handle anything higher than a D-rank mission without proper training. We only learned the basics in the academy. I we attempted something like, for example, a reconnaissance mission and got ambushed, we wouldn’t be able to properly defend ourselves.”

    “That’s right,” Konohamaru looked at her, “which is way today well focus on improving those skills. A Ninjas job is dangerous, not to mention unpredictable. You never know when an attack might happen.” The brunette walked over to the center of the field they were in and pulled a couple of ribbons out of his pocket.

    “So your first task,” he explained as the trio made confused faces, “ is to take these ribbons from me. Using everything you know, and any method necessary, without killing me. Begin.”

~~~~~~~~~

    Menma collapsed down on the ground, panting in exhuastion. The sun had long since set for the night, and only now had Konohamaru called it quits. The three of them had managed to get the ribbons from the man, but not until after many long grilling hours of thinking and waiting for the right opportunity. They had learned in the beginning that they wouldn’t be able to take the brunette head on. (Boruto had the forming bruises to prove it).
    The sensei in question walked over to the raven haired boy. “Are you alright, Menma?” Menma nodded, eyes closed and still breathing heavy. 

    “yeah…Yeah, just- just give me a minute…” Konohamaru nodded, although Menma couldn’t see it and walked away to check on the other two. Sarada snapped her head over to Menma as Konohamaru approached her.

    “M-Menma! It’s already dark, will you be okay get-getting home?” she asked through gulps of air. Menma groaned sitting up, muscels already sore. 

    “Yeah, I’ll be fine. I’ll tree jump home. It’ll be faster than walking, like I normally do.” 

    “Are you sure?” Boruto asked, seemingly fine. Although Menma could see how tired he was. Menma nodded in reassurance.

    “Well if you’re all okay now you free to head home,” Konohamaru smiled, “we’ll meet back here tomorrow around eight, alright?”

    “Yes, Sensei.” The trio smiled back at him before heading their separate ways.