Chapter 14

Tsunade had just finished helping another patient when they barged into the hospital, bloody and bruised. Konohamaru was carring a limp dark-haired child with scarred cheeks in a whisker shape. She knew who it was instantly, even if she hadn’t seen him since the day he was born. Both Naruto and Sasukes kids trailed behind the brunette, both equally distressed in their own ways. She immediately took them to spare stretcher and ordered the boy be placed on it before a nurse took over and rushed him to intensive care.

“What happened.” The former Hokage demanded. Konohamaru immediately launched into a full explanation. When he was finished she set her jaw and called out for Sakura. She came quickly, noting the urgency in her superiors voice.

“Go and assess those boys wounds, It’s been over an hour since the kunai embedded itself in him and if we don’t act now the possibility of his surviving is low. If needed go into surgery, but do not- do NOT let that boy die! I’ll be back in a moment,” She said, sprinting out of the hospital. Sakura immediately got to work.

~~~~~~~~~

When Tsunade reached the Academy she threw open the doors, rushing past lingering students and Anbu until she reached the office. At which point she also threw open the door. Naruto practically jumped out of his skin.

“Baa-chan-”

“Naruto, Team 7 was attacked,” he immediately went alert, standing up out of his chair. “What!? Is everyone okay, is Boruto alright-”

“Boruto’s fine,” she panted, “just a few cuts and bruises.”

“Then why do you look so stressed?”

“Menma took a Kunai to the gut,” Naruto felt his heart drop. “It went in deep and he passed out over an hour before they managed to get back. He lost a lot of blood.” Naruto didn’t need to hear anything else. He rushed past his desk and out the door, rady to start running. “Get Sasuke!”

~~~~~~~~~~~

    Naruto reached the hospital in minutes. The door slammed open with the amount of force he used to open it, causing him to wince and the people inside to jump. He panted as he looked around. He saw Boruto standing next to Sarada, worry expressed on his face, and he marched over to him. Boruto looked over at him.

    “Dad-” Naruto crouched down and cupped his sons face gently. “Boruto, listen to me. What happened to Menma.” 

    ‘I-I’m not sure,” Boruto whispered, “One minute we were walking in the woods and the next we were ambushed by Ninja. I didn’t even know Menma was hit until until he started to bleed from the mouth.” Naruto went pale. Sakura popped into the area, scrubs and gloves covered in blood. Naruto’s hands started shaking as his breathing increased when she called out, 

    “I need all available hands now! Code red! I repeat, Code red!” She just as quickly disapeared back where she came from. Code red repeated in his ears. Code Red was the most urgent of codes. He knew because they had called it out while he was in labor with Menma. He was in the middle of a c-section when the blood loss became severe. He had almost died that night.
    He felt a hand on his shoulder and turned to look at who was touching him. It was Kakashi. “Calm down, Naruto. You’ll give yourself a panic attack.” he whispered. He hadn’t realized he was hyperventalating. Boruto stared up at him in concern, with a small mix of confusion in his eyes. 
    Why was his father reacting so strongly to Menma’s condition? He didn’t know him like Boruto did. If anyone, he and Sarada should be the ones panicking. Sarada thought the same thing, although tears had formed in her eyes. 
They sat in that room for who knows how long until Tsunade came back, rushing straight passed them and donning gloves before joining everyone else in the race against time. Kakashi stayed by Narutos side, Occasionally glancing over at the rest of Team 7, who Konohamaru was trying to keep distracted. It was almost dark when Sasuke finally arrived. His cloack was missing, leaving what he wore underneath it, and his missing arm, visible. His breathing was ragged, he had obviously ran here.

“Naruto-”

“Dad-!” Sarada and Sasuke said over each other. Sasuke looked down at her and sighed in relief momentarily before looking back at Naruto. “Tsunade left a note on the door saying team 7 had been attacked. What happened?”

“They were anbushed in the woods,” Kakashi replied for the blonde. The Hokage had become unresponsive shortly after Kakashi had arrived so he had to get the story form the other members of the team. “Menma got hit in the gut with a kunai. He in intensive care right now. We don’t know of his condition now, but it was critical when they got here.” Sasuke turned to Naruto wide unbelieving eyes. 

“Naruto their children! What did you send them into!?”

“He didn’t know,” Sarada defended the older blonde, “It was labeled as a mission to help an old lady in her garden. He didn’t know it was a trap!”
Sasuke calmed himself. “Sorry, I shouldn’t have jumped to conclusions.” Sarada nodded, pleased and turned back to the hallway.
After 20 more minutes Tsundade returned to the group, a please smile on her face. 

“He’ll be okay,” She started with, “The kunai went deep, but missed his vital organs. The main problem was the amount of blood he lost. He’s been stitched up and bandaged, and is now awake, but we recommend he stay here a least a week so we can monitor his progress. You can go see him now.” Naruto didn’t need to be told twice. He immediately got up out of his chair and practically ran to the room.