Chapter 9

Menma untied and shrugged off his robe, laying it across his arm before resting his arms close to his chest as he walked over to the tree in front of the Academy, seating himself on the swing. The day had ended and he had finally convinced Sarada, who was adamant she would walk him home, that he would be fine and that she shouldn’t keep her mom waiting any longer than necessary. After a slight hesitation she had agreed and she and Boruto went their separate ways from Menma.
    Menma swung back and forth slightly as he watched all of the other children and sensei’s leave for the day, Including Iruka-Sensei who offered him a smile and a wave. 
    He waited until he saw no one else leaving before getting off the swing and grabbing his bag of tomatoes, (which he had placed next to him,) and heading back down the dirt walkway to the Academy. He slipped past the front door and walked straight past the secretary, who fortunately for him had her back turned towards him. The guards too, just like earlier, still only eyed him suspiciously. Menma paid them no mind.
    He reached the Hokage’s office just as the door opened and a man with brown hair pulled back into a spiky ponytail stepped out. 

    “You’re such a child Naruto, Your work really isn’t that bad. Especially when it seems like I do most of it anyway.” He said, staring into the room with a blank expression.

    “I am not,” Menma heard his Mom reply. The man rolled his eyes, turning around completely to leave. He paused when he noticed Menma standing there. 

    “Can I help you?” He asked.

    “Oh, uh-” Shit, Menma wasn’t prepared to actually talk to people, “I-I just need to see Lord Seventh-”

    “What for?” The man raised his eyebrow.

    “Shikamaru what are you doing?” Naruto called, confused as to why he hadn’t yet left.

    “There’s a boy here that says he's here to see you,” the man, Shikamaru replied, turning to once again face the Hokage. Naruto knew who it was.

    “Then stop questioning him and let him in, he wont kill me.” Menma could hear the eye roll his mother most likely gave the man. Shikamaru looked up at the sky as if praying for his sanity and held the door open for Menma, who walked in quickly. Shikamaru shut the door behind him as he left.
    Naruto stood up from his desk with a smile, “Hey buddy, don’t mind Shikamaru- he’s always been a pain.” Menma giggled.

    “It’s alright.”

    “Well, how was class,” Naruto asked, walking around to the front of his desk to lean back on it. “I figure it was just a review , right?” Menma nodded.

    “Yeah it was just a review, so I didn’t really pay much attention,” Naruto snorted, “but I did finally meet Sarada and Boruto! Me and Sarada even had lunch together, which was when I got these,” He held up the bag of tomatoes, giggling at Naruto’s exasperated face. “Who knew Papa's daughter didn’t like tomatoes?”

    “It is strange isn’t it,” Naruto smirked, “Sasuke was heartbroken when he found out. Although Boruto isn’t too big of a fan of ramen either, he prefers burgers and Yakisoba Buns.”

    “Really,” Menma perked up, “what about Himawari?”

    Naruto thought for a moment, pursing his lips. “I believe Hima’s favorite food would be cake. Although we don't eat that much.”

    “Sweet,” Menma smiled, glad to know more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    The rest of the week followed a similar routine to Monday. Menma would wake up, get dressed, eat breakfast, walk to the academy, pop his head in the Hokage's office and talk to his mom until the bell rang and then Attend class. He had lunch at Ichiraku Ramen, sometimes with Sarada, sometimes by himself, he even had lunch with Boruto once, which was a great way to get to know the blonde better. He wasn’t nearly as grumpy as he appeared, he was just a tad too arrogant.
    It was now Saturday, and the day of graduation. Sarada was in a wonderful mood, since her father had returned the day before as promised, although Menma had yet to see him again. He was sure it wouldn’t be too much longer.
    The three of them, Boruto, Sarada, and Menma, had already taken the written exams, which were a breeze for the two raven-haired future genins. Not so much for the blonde who, after the exam, looked like his brain had melted. And all of them were currently waiting their turns to take the practical exam. According to students that had already taken it, all they had to do was make a functioning Shadow Clone to pass. Which wouldn’t be too hard for Menma. Much like Naruto in his later genin years, Shadow Clones was something Menma was really good at making. At the moment he could make twenty fully functioning clones at one time! He was very proud of that fact. And Naruto was supposed to be monitoring the exam with the Chunin instructor, so that made him even more ready for his turn.
    Boruto was called in, and then Sarada, and then finally…It was Menma's turn. Menma walked into the exam room, a robe tied around his waist and greeted the Hokage and Instructor respectfully. They explained what he needed to do and with almost no effort he made a fully functioning Clone, which he allowed to walk around and speak for a few moments. When the instructor smiled at him and gestured for him to release the Jutsu, he did so.