Five

I remember the private tutors in the facility had defined a mate bond as a bond that was considered unique to the werewolf species

I remember the private tutors in the facility had defined a mate bond as a bond that was considered unique to the werewolf species. It allowed for the procreation of their species through a sentimental connection that emulated love. However, they had also expressed uncertainty regarding the possibility of me being able to be gifted a mate by the deity werewolves worshipped since I was different. 

I remember their short conversation...

The tutors stepped away from my 9-year-old self with a tight smile and were talking quietly amongst themselves in the corner now. Although they were trying to be discreet, I could hear their conversation clearly.

"I don't understand why the research department even bothered to include the mating bond of werewolves in her education curriculum. Better yet, I don't understand why they are even bothering to educate this creature and the others." 

"They must have thought that maybe there is a possibility that she was given a mate by the werewolves' deity. What is it called? The Moon Goddess?"

The tutors slowly nodded, however the same one from before spoke up. 

"Would it not be better for her not to have one at all? Imagine this creature being paired with a werewolf and having children. Although, children would not be the correct label. Who knows what kind of monsters she could bear? I would feel horrible for the werewolf she gets paired up with if she does have a mate."

The rest of the tutors nodded.

"If she were human like us or even a real werewolf, I would have no problem with her being paired up."

Therefore, I lost interest in that subject and left it behind me after overhearing the tutors' conversation years ago. The only occurrences I got to see of any form of the bond was through the small interactions seen in public. I didn't know much about it at all and I didn't mind that I was ignorant of it. I had concluded that I wasn't going to have a mate, so what was the point?

Yet, my ignorance had come back to get a good laugh.

I let a quiet sigh and shook my head. My brain was jolted to attention by the ring of the elevator. Dr. Ronan and I had arrived at the medical floor. Anxiety gripped my heart in a tight hold. 

Breathe. Calm down and breathe. 

I dug my nails slightly into my palm and felt my shoulders and breathing relax. 

A nurse came running toward us and rapidly told us that Captain Lycus was waiting for us in an office. Apparently, when he went to visit me, he found out I was gone from my room and quickly caused a commotion with the staff, demanding to know where I was and if I was alright.

A guilty pit formed in my stomach. This man, although he did not know who I was, was already concerned for my health and I was going to crush this man's heart by refusing to accept him in the end.