One

11:55 pm

11:55 pm.

Enforcers had arrived at their stations around the city and my neighborhood. I could hear them outside. Their boots thudded on the ground.

Suddenly, a light cut through the curtains at my window. I slid out of bed and walked towards it. Outside, the sky was blinded by the city lights ahead. The stars had been dimmed and even the moon didn't shine as bright as it did long ago. The city cried out with the roars of cars and the yelling of sirens. I looked down at the street. There was a group of Enforcers at the corner. They were talking amongst themselves. Curious, I continued to stare.

The enforcers were dressed in their black military uniforms with matching-colored caps. Their cap only had a single golden emblem that contained the shape of a howling wolf in the middle, and at the bottom of it, a single embroidered feather. Around their uniform, they were embezzled with three single golden strings that stretched from their collar to their shoulder. On their shoulders, the only thing that differed was the colored stripe. Different colors meant different squads. It was a uniform that showcased the enforcers' pride and strength.

I was fascinated by them, I admit. However, I have always been unable to understand their commitment to their job. It just never made ... sense. But I guess the idea of playing hero does fascinate the ego. Shrugging to myself, I laugh under my breath.

Mmm...

Well, at least they are interesting to look at. I push myself away from the window and close the curtains.

12:00 am

Hurriedly, I get my uniform and go down to the kitchen. Quickly, I grab a snack and open the front door. I am going to be late if I don't catch the bus to the city.

A hand comes out from the corner of my gate and stops me. A quiet groan leaves my lips. Without looking up to see who it is, I ask, "Is there a problem, Officer?"

"Where are you going ma'am? I can escort you there."

Shaking my head, "I am on my way to the city. As you can see by the uniform, I work at one of the research facilities. " As I finished speaking, I looked up from the ground to the Enforcer.

He nods his head and steps away. He then heads towards the group that I had been previously watching from the window. All of them looked my way and nodded in greeting. I forced a smile and went on my way to catch the bus.

About in a half an hour, I arrived in the city and at the building of Continuum Research Laboratory. Humans looked small next to the mass structure.

I made my way to the tenth floor and arrived at the main floor for confidential research.

"I am glad you arrived on time today, Reyna."

He walked in behind me and extended his hand to point towards the familiar door.

I walked in and waited for Dr. Ronan Dorin in the corner.

"I was afraid that you would...miss your appointment with me today. Last time you missed it and well...extra precautions had to be taken to ensure you wouldn't miss other ones. Now, I don't have to remind you about what those precautions entail do I?"

I looked at him straight on but then averted my eyes to the floor. I couldn't respond back. No matter what attitude I gave him, it wasn't going to change my situation. There was no out. I just had to follow his instructions. That's all. Just for a bit more.

"Good," He commented. He proceeded to grab some red scrubs that had been laying on a seat. "Change. You already know the process."

I grabbed the scrubs and went ahead to the changing room that was on the left side of the exam room. It didn't take me long to change into them and tie the knots in their correct manner. I exited the changing room and lay down on the examination table.

It was now 12:45 am.

Dr. Ronan approached me and signaled for other nurses and doctors to come in.

"Strap her in."

The nurses came and tied the straps around my wrists, waist, legs, and forehead.

My chest clenched and ached. But I couldn't reach up to it and clench my shirt to relieve the ache. The first few times I had been at this table, I didn't know what it was that caused my chest to ache. I had thought it was anticipation or anxiety. But I wasn't particularly looking forward to these appointments nor was I nervous. 

No. It was fear. That is what I was feeling. 

But I remained completely still. Unfaced. It had become routine. The long needles and the shocks and the cuts had become painless. I was numb and yet I felt all of it. I felt my brain go into shock and try to yell at me to get away. To flinch. But I couldn't. I was trapped in a cage. I couldn't yell out for help or in pain. There was no path for me to take away from here.

I just have to stay still, like a doll.

Just for a bit more. Just for a bit more... 

It was now 3:00 am.

My vision was hazy and my body ached.

But, without looking around, I knew I was in the recovery room that Dr.Ronan always places me in. I raised my arms and found bandages wrapped around them. Along with them, my neck was bandaged too and my legs were covered in bruises.

Groaning, I sat up on the bed and looked out at the window. It was still dark out and you could hear the screeching of some of the Beta Half hounds that had found their way close to the city. It was the same as always.

Sighing, I slip out from the bed and grabbed the uniform that I had come in with. The uniform was an excellent red long-sleeve dress shirt with black pants and a black coat. It was suited to hide the real purpose of my being in the research building.

After I was done changing, I walked out of the room and headed toward Dr. Ronan.

"Ah, I see, fast recovery as always."

"Yes, Dr. Ronan."

He nodded approvingly. I was indeed a fast healer. The bruises that had been on my legs were gone. Although the wounds under the bandages were healing a lot slower due to his ... newly discovered techniques. Yet, I knew they would disappear without scars in a day. I also knew that this would later anger him when he saw me again.

"In two days, you will come back at the same time to the lab. Just as always. Work as normally until your next appointment." He proceeds to tilt his head and looks at me. "I believe you haven't forgotten your job here? Correct?"

I shook my head. "Good."

He walked away and headed to his lab. I headed the opposite way and made my way out of the building. Tomorrow, I have to come back. Just for normal work.

With that last thought, I boarded the bus back home.