Four

My eyes rapidly tried to focus on the room around me

My eyes rapidly tried to focus on the room around me. It seemed almost identical to the recovery room that Dr. Ronan would place me in after our appointments. 

Wait, where am I? 

Anxiety quickly overtook my body. Hurridly, I sat up in bed and took out the IVs. 

I have to get out. I am not sure what they got to see, but I need to be cautious. 

I sprung out of bed and put on some clothes that had been, fortunately, left in a bag. I exited the room and looked around. There were people but none seem to be paying particular attention. Letting out a sigh of relief, I started walking in some random direction, hoping to find the exit. Yet, the more I walked around, it all became more familiar. 

This is the medical floor for the Continuum Research Building. 

Once again relief washed over me. But as soon as it came, it left. 

I have to find Dr. Ronan. 

Running, I made it to the elevator and took it to the tenth floor. I made my way to his office and walked in without warning. Yet, no one was there. 

Where is he!?

Shaking my head in frustration, I made my way out of his office and into the research quarters. I peered into every room, however, there was no sign of him. I felt more and more restless as time passed. I had no idea where he could be. 

Fuck! Where!?

I kept going in circles around the floor, hoping that I would run into him.

Please, where is he?

"Reyna."

My head immediately whiplashed to the voice. My shoulders sagged in mild relief, it was Doctor Ronan.

"Dr. Ronan, what happened? How much do they know?" 

He shook his head, "They don't know anything, Reyna. At least, you were smart enough in handling the situation. They said that as soon as they got to you, you mentioned my name. Luckily the captain sent immediate word to me about you. I was able to stop them from taking you to a normal hospital and ordered them to get you here. It wasn't hard to do anyway since they knew you worked here."

I nodded my head sensing his irritation. "However, there has been a troublesome development with the captain."

My face contorted into confusion. "The captain?"

He nods his head and starts to walk in the direction of his office. We enter and sit down. Anxiety starts eating me away.

It must be serious for him to want to talk in private.

"It seems the captain has taken some...special interest in you."

"Why? If they don't know anything, why is the captain interested? Do they know something about me? Am I going to be taken away again?"

He waves his hand dismissively. "As long as you avoid and reject him, it should be fine."

Reject him? Why would I need to rej-

My eyes widen in realization. "I had no idea Dr. Ronan. I would have consulted with you immediately about it. I swear."

He looks at me and nods. "Of course, I believe you, Reyna. You wouldn't do anything so foolish knowing the consequences. However, if he finds out about your certain predicament, as captain, he will have no choice but to report you. Although certain government branches know about you, we wouldn't want it to go public. And you wouldn't want it going public either, correct? After all, your private matters would also be known."

I nod my head rapidly in agreement. I knew full well what would happen if my existence comes to light. 

"Good. Now, there is something good that came out of this. I got to analyze, by the written reports, your way of handling the man. It was exceptional! Your strength and the quick rationalization of needing to kill the man was wonderful. Many ordinary persons would hesitate to even hit the man. Ah! Such good promise this brings to our research. Creatures like you will be extraordinary soldiers!"

My nails dug into my palm as I resisted the urge to throw him a glare. I was always disgusted when he refer to me as a creature as if I didn't count as a person.

The only thing I could do was nod. I was powerless against him.

"I also read the autopsy report of the man and I cannot wait to further my research about you. The number of possibilities of experiments and tests that can be done to further know abo-"

The phone rang, cutting him off. He grunts in annoyance and answers it, his face changing from mild annoyance to complete frustration. He hangs up the phone roughly and looks at me.

"The captain is looking for you. He is causing a ruckus in my lab, demanding to see his mate."

His hand slides down the side of his face and says, "Reyna, reject him. That's an order. I do not care how you do it. Imagine the atrocity that could come from this pairing. The...monstrous spawn you would bear."

I could only stare at him blankly. I didn't even know if I could get pregnant. Dr. Ronan had examined me and yet even he didn't know. It seems that being different from the rest complicates things.

"Reyna, do you understand?"

I stared in thought, if I said yes, it would mean breaking that man's heart. That is if the captain really cared. If I said no, it would mean breaking my agreement, and breaking it would mean misery. 

"Dr. Ronan, there can be something good about this. If I reject him, he will most likely pursue me more, risking a higher possibility he will find out about me. However, I also do not wish to accept the bond. So, how about I do neither, and just string him along? Sooner or later he will realize that I am not worth the effort."

As I said this, his glare went from curiosity to a nod to a smile.

"Such a splendid idea. You, Reyna, are a heartless but logical creature. Come, let's go meet the captain."

I nodded and followed behind him. The only thing on my mind was for this whole thing to spare the captain's life. Because although I held no interest to give him my life or heart, I didn't want to be a complete monster.