Two

When I got off the bus station near my home, I felt all the tension leave my body

When I got off the bus station near my home, I felt all the tension leave my body. A wave of relief flooded over me as I got closer to my front door. I couldn't wait to just get in my house, shower, and throw myself on the bed.

Just a few more steps and that blissful dream would come true. In five, four, three, two, one, and ze-

"Shhh, sweetheart."

My body flinched at feeling the barrel of the gun. The man's breath was rapid and felt hot to my neck. I didn't move. No matter how fast I moved, he could still shoot the gun in less than a second. If I got shot, it would certainly cause problems with Doctor Ronan.

So I kept quiet. As if proud, the man snickered and came closer to my back to whisper, "Good girl."

Holding back a shudder, I asked, "What do you want?"

With the barrel still being pointed at my back, he moved slowly to the side dragging the gun along until it rested on my ribs.

My breath hitched, uncomfortable with his closeness, but I didn't dare move my head to look at him.

"Open the door and keep quiet."

I nodded and took my keys to unlock the front door and when I was about to reach for the doorknob, another voice introduced itself.

"Is everything alright?"

For the first time, I looked at the man beside me. He seemed to be in his forties and was dressed in casual clothing. However, he wore a tired look on his face. I flinched when he returned my stare. He gave a nod to me and pressed the gun harder to my side.

 I turned around and stared at the Enforcer who stood at the edge of the gate. I smiled and calmly said, "Everything is alright. Thank you for checking in officer. It is wonderful to know that there are Enforcers around to care for us. But as I said, everything is fine. He is just helping me get to my home. I had a tiring night shift."

The Enforcer looked at me with a hint of confusion in his eyes. He tilted his head slightly and stared for a second more before smiling, "Of course, ma'am. Then I will take my leave. Have a good rest."

The officer backed away from the gate and only gave a small glance back before walking away.

I turned to the man and gave him a glare. I wanted him to go away. But if I did anything, I was sure the man would shoot me, and dealing with Dr. Dorin's anger was not something I could muster the energy for nor to be in Dr. Dorin's debt to cover up for me when the medical staff at the hospital starts asking questions about my injury and situation

The man, annoyed at my little act of defiance, pushed me inside so strongly that I fell with a hard thud. He came in and shut the door behind him and smiled at me as he let out a sigh of relaxation. Almost as if my falling had given him a therapeutic feeling.

He bent down and roughly grabbed my legs to slide me closer to him and then grabbed my arms with an uncomfortable grip and pulled me up. I remained quiet, not wanting
to annoy him further and make him angry.

"It seems you are a fast learner, sweetheart," he said while holding me close to his face while his other hand held the gun. Disgusted, I wanted to turn my face away. But I resisted the urge and gave him a blank stare instead.

He chuckled and again, with an even bigger force, pushed me, causing me to hit my head on the edge of the wall.

A low whimper, without meaning to, escaped my lips. I looked at him and knew that I should have held it in. His eyes had taken a hungry look and his mouth had taken on a smirk.

"Well, well, well, sweetheart, it seems you have some potential to entertain me while I wait."