-EPILOGUE-

"There's my two girls," Rune cooed, finding Lou and Ginger reading in the garden.

He scooped Ginger up, scratching under her chin.

"The roses look great, honey," he told Lou who closed her book to smile up at him. She was so damn pretty.

"Thank you. I clipped off the dead ones just like the book we got said to, and I trimmed the ones along the entry arch to fix the shape a little."

"You guys have been hard at work," he said.

"I was thinking maybe we could get some twinkling lights out here."

Lou stood up, and Rune put Ginger down so he could wrap his arms around her. He kissed her forehead.

"I think we can definitely figure something out," he said, pressing his lips to hers. "I got you something today."

He sat down on the bench, and Lou followed. He pulled a ring box from his pocket and she felt her heart thump nervously in her chest.

"I know we've never talked about marriage," he started.

"I've never even thought about it," she admitted.

"Me either. It was never something I wanted, not until I met you. We have been through a lot of shit, Lou, but I want you to take this ring as a promise that I will always love you. I will always be there for you."

"Rune," she whispered, voice thick with the emotions that she struggled to swallow. Her eyes filled with tears. She never imagined in her whole life that she would have a home, a family, all of it.

"I know," he said gently, dropping his voice. "It's okay."

He opened the box, revealing a simple ring that looked like it was two twisted together. It was small and delicate and absolutely perfect.

"Which finger do you want it on, baby?"

She appreciated that he was giving her the choice, but he was her forever.

"You know where it goes," she sniffed, holding out her left hand.

Rune smiled, a bright, shy one that she rarely saw. He slid it on her ring finger. It was a perfect fit. He lifted her hand to his mouth.

"I love you," she said, cupping his cheeks. "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

She kissed him.

"I hope you know that I will always love you," she added when she pulled back. "You are my everything."

He gave her another kiss. They were both beyond happy and exactly where they were meant to be.