-CHAPTER 19-

Lou was sitting out by the pool one afternoon when she was startled by Rune.

"Is that what I think it is?" he asked, dropping onto the chair with her, pretty much sitting on her lap and suffocating her in the process.

"You scared me," she gasped, getting her arms free. "I didn't hear you come in."

"Technically, you're out." He bent his head to capture her lips. "I'm glad you decided to take this up after all."

Lou sighed, closing her textbooks and notebooks. "I didn't know trying to get my GED would be this difficult. I really wish I would have just stayed in that group home for a few more months. I was so close, and now I don't remember anything."

"It's okay, Lulu. You have to start from somewhere. I'm really proud of you for at least trying."

"Thanks," she smiled.

Rune kissed her cheek, finally getting up. Lou sucked in a dramatic amount of air, and he gave her an annoyed look.

"How did work go?" she asked, following him into the house. He stopped, closing the doors behind her. She gave him an odd look.

"It was alright," he answered. "It's weird to only have one job, but I am really glad that I chose to slow down. I don't want to waste a moment with you."

Lou smiled, wrapping her arms around him, and stopping him in his tracks.

"You're cheesy," she teased, reaching up to brush some stray hair out of his face. "And in need of a haircut."

He swatted her hands away playfully. "I made a new friend today."

Lou gave him a skeptical look, a bit confused by that. He knew everyone at the office already, unless he had a meeting with someone new.

"Who?"

"Come on," Rune led her to the garage, opening the door that led to his car. Out came a massive ball of orange fluff. The cat scurried away, disappearing further into the house. 

"Rune," she laughed, feeling extremely excited. "Where did she come from?"

"My assistant came in with her. He found her in a park yesterday. She's extremely malnourished and skittish, and he thought that cat would be the perfect gift for me."

Lou searched through the house, calling for the kitty and finding her upstairs under their bed.

"Hi," she called to the cat, outstretching her hand. "Do you want to come see me?"

The cat backed further into the wall.

"My name is Lou and the scary guy that brought you home is Rune. You can stay here if you'd like."

Rune dropped onto the floor next to her. "If she'd like? Where else is she going to go?"

She hushed him.

"My assistant had a little bag of cat food with him, but we should probably go out and get some more. We need a litter box, too."

"Poor kitty," she sighed, sitting up. "Don't forget toys."

"I don't know how playful she will be. She isn't a kitten."

"All cats love to play. Young or old."

"Let's try to get her into the bathroom while we go. I don't want her piss everywhere."

"Be nice," Lou scolded. "She can pee wherever she would like. She's just a scared little baby."

---

Lou entered the house with bags of all kinds of cat supplies. She got a litterbox, a scratching post, a window seat, and several little toys.

"I like Goldfish," she told Rune.

"Please don't name that cat Goldfish."

"You told me I could name her whatever I wanted."

"Yes, but-"

"I need to see her face before I decide anyway."

Lou opened their bathroom door, finding the pretty orange kitty wedged in the smallest corner behind the toilet.

"Rune's right. You're not a Goldfish," she sighed, reaching into one of her bags to pull out a things of treats. The cat perked up as she shook the container.

"Come here, orange foxy buttercup," she cooed.

Rune snorted a laugh behind her.

"Cheddar cantaloupe carrot," she tried.

Lou looked up at Rune who was leaning on the doorframe. "She doesn't like any of these names."

"Ginger," he said, and the cat perked up, inching closer.

Lou huffed. "It's not the unique one I had in mind, but I guess it's her choice anyway. Come sit down. You're scaring her."

Rune took a seat, taking the treats from her. "Here, Ginger." He extended his arm, shaking a few onto the tile about a foot infront of them.

It took a few moments for Ginger to get the courage to come forward, and that seemed to break some of the ice as she head butted against Lou's leg.

"I love her," Lou sighed happily. "Thank you for bringing her home."

He wrapped his arm around her shoulders. "I fell in love with her when I saw her, too. I figured there was plenty of space here for her. We can even let her outside eventually once she gets comfortable and puts on some weight."

Ginger was the perfect addition to their little family.