-CHAPTER 15-

Lou woke up to distant beeping. She could feel the cords she was connected to, and it made her skin crawl. She was at a hospital

She forced herself up right. Her head protested the movement, but she kept going. She removed the oxygen and the IV.

Rune had to be in here somewhere with her. She had to get to him.

"Ma'am, please lay back down. You have a concussion," a nurse said, entering the room.

"Please. I just want Rune," she whispered.

"He's in surgery. Just lay still, and I will let you know as soon as I find something out for you, okay?"

When she left, Blue knocked on the door. He looked less scary than all of the times she had seen him before.

"How are you?" he asked. The pleasantry was odd from his typical brash behavior.

"Have you heard about Rune?"

Blue shrugged, dropping into a chair. "He's been in surgery for several hours."

"What did they say when they brought him in?"

"Gunshot wound to the lower abdomen. They had to do an emergency transfusion, and he was still losing blood so they took him in immediately."

Lou wanted to cry but she couldn't. She just wanted to go back to her home, to her and Rune's apartment, and forget all of this had ever happened.

A doctor came through a little while later to discharge her since she had no more nausea or dizziness, just a dull ache at the back of her head.

She followed Blue to a waiting room, dropping into a crunchy chair. Minutes felt like hours, and she realized she would be absolutely nothing if it weren't for Rune.

He took care of her. He loved on her, and expected nothing in return. If she lost him-

She shook away the thought, choosing to close her eyes and pretend it was all a horrible nightmare that she'd wake up from.

She must've dozed off because she woke up to Blue calling her name.

"You should eat and drink something," he told her, offering her a drink and a sandwich from the cafeteria.

"Thanks," Lou said sincerely, not realizing how hungry she was until the food touched her mouth. "I'm sorry that I thought you were scary."

"No hard feelings here," he shrugged.

"How long have you known Rune?"

"I worked for his uncle for a little while until I found out how fucking corrupt he was. I helped Rune turn the whole thing around."

Lou nodded, not wanting to speak anymore.

The surgeon came out just a little while later. "Rune had lost a lot of blood, but we were able to successfully stop the bleeding. He was very lucky that none of his organs were struck, and that the bullet stayed in one piece."

Lou wiped tears for the millionth time away.  "Can I see him?"

The surgeon nodded, and she wasted no time going to his room.

Rune looked pale, even against the white sheets. There were so many wires and machines and she was really, really scared.

He looked so vulnerable laying there. He was her protector. Even when he was suffering, he still saved her. He got her out of her binds, and had already called Blue, and even had weapons. Lou didn't want to think of how all of this would've turned out if Rune wasn't prepared.

But now, it was her turn to protect him. She would wait by his side until he was ready to wake up, and for his healing process after. He didn't have to be tough around her. Rune was her everything.

She clasped his cold hand, running her thumb in soothing circles over his skin.

Blue joined her for a little while, and she was content with the quiet company. She was beginning to see Rune's perspective of Blue, and she had a new found appreciation.

"Why don't I have Victor take you home, Lou? I will stay right here with him until you get back."

"No," Lou mumbled in protest. "I won't leave him."

"Your clothes still have blood on them. At least go change. You'll feel so much better."

Lou hadn't even given a thought to her appearance. A disgusting feeling crawled up her neck. She couldn't stomach looking at her clothes. A shower would be good, and she could pack a few things to stay next to Rune's side.

"Just please don't leave him," she told Blue who nodded.

---

Lou didn't realize how much blood still stained her skin until she got into the shower and it turned pink. She did feel so much better being clean.

She packed some clothes for her and Rune. He was in a hospital gown, and he definitely wouldn't want to leave in that.

She missed the apartment. She missed Rune. She felt like it had been a lifetime since she had seen or spoken to him. She couldn't wait for him to wake up.