Late night

Are we allowed to be here this late?" I ask as Eric hoists himself on top of the white fence

Are we allowed to be here this late?" I ask as Eric hoists himself on top of the white fence. It's pitch black except for the stars above us and the pathway lights at the front gate.

"We work here," he says.

"Okay that doesn't mean anything," I say. "it's still like midnight."

"Give me your phone?" He asks and I hand it to him.

He takes it and hops over to the other side of the fence. "Come and get it!"

"Asshole," I mutter, hesitantly climbing over the fence and falling over the other side.

"Hurry up!" Eric helps me stand and hands me my phone back.

"What's the rush?" I ask as he leads me by the hand to the control panel of the pool.

"The timing has to be perfect," Eric says. I watch as he uses his key to unlock the door and presses a few buttons.

The pool cover rolls back up and the water begins to heat. He pushes another button and the lights at the bottom change to a dark pink, almost purple color.

"Okay, quick quick!" Eric drags me back over to the pool near the shallow end, and we sit on the edge next to each other.

"What are we waiting for?" I ask.

"Any second now," Eric says. He's sitting so close to me that his fingers rest over my hand on the cold cement floor. Sometimes I still get nervous around him--not the first day of school nervous, but the kind that's exciting.

We hear a loud boom sound, and we both jump.

"what the hell was that?" I look at him.

He points to the sky and I turn my head. A bright red burst of color flies into the air and separates into different branches. Another loud sound goes off and a second firework explodes.

"holy crap," I breathe out. "Is this your doing?"

Eric nods proudly. "Well, it was my idea. JJ kinda took care of all the illegal stuff."

I smile, "I don't think I've ever seen fireworks this close up."

"Really?" Eric asks. "We have them every 4th of July here in America."

"They're so pretty," I say as we watch more and more fireworks burst into the air.

"Look I know it's not much for a first date, but I-"

"It's perfect," I assure him. "It doesn't matter what we do, this has been the happiest summer of my life."

"Really?" Eric asks.

"Really."

"Okay good, because it'll be a while before I can pay for a fancy dinner out with you." He chuckles.