Old habits die hard

I feel a weight on the side of my cheek

I feel a weight on the side of my cheek. I slowly open my eyes and shift my attention to the right. My head is on his shoulder, and his cheek is resting on mine.

This is enough to jump start me and I leap up, fully awake. Eric face plants onto the couch and jolts awake.

"What happened??" He asks with one eye open and his hair sticking up.

"N-nothing." I swallow. "What do you want for breakfast?" I ask quickly.

"Huh?" He blinks as he processes what I've asked. "Anything is fine."

"Okay," I shuffle into the kitchen to make some eggs.

I crack three into the pan and then I realize that's probably not enough so I put in two more. I peacefully stab at the eggs until the yellow and white mix together, and I feel a presence behind me.

"You scramble them in the pan??" Eric asks with horror. His voice is right next to my ear and it takes me that long to realize he's leaning over my shoulder with his hands in his pockets.

"Yeah? So?" I ask defensively.

"That should be a crime. I mix them in a bowl and then pour it in."

"That's because you're like a neat freak who needs it to be perfect," I turn the heat up.

"Or you're just lazy." Eric crosses his arms and leans against the counter next to the stove, watching me. Staring at me as I make these goddamned eggs.

Is this what it's like living with a guy? I haven't experienced moments like this because Crew never stayed long enough to stare at me.

The sound of a loud thud makes both Eric and I jump.

"W-what was that?" Eric asks.

"I don't know." I answer and we both glance at the living room where the sound came from.

"Go check!" He whispers.

"What?? You go check!" I say.

"It's your house!"

"Are you scared??"

"Are you scared??"

I turn off the stove and Eric grabs the spatula I'm holding. I feel him grab my arm tightly and we inch towards the living room.

Suddenly JJ jumps up from behind the couch and we both scream.

"oh my god!" I groan. "What are you doing here??"

"Holy Jesus JJ." Eric sighs with relief.

The blond laughs and points at him holding the spatula. "You really thought you were going to do shit with that?"

"Shut up!" He lowers it and I feel him let go of my arm.

"How did you even get in??" I ask.

JJ points to the open window.