Chapter 4- A great start

Talking to the Dupain Chengs was surprisingly easier than Adrien ever expected. It didn't even take them a second to respond with an 'of course, son.'

By the time the teens had finished their lunch, the Dupain Chengs had already spoken to his father and set up a bedroom for Adrien's stay. Not that it was necessary since they made it clear that if he rather stay in Marinette's chaise, he was welcome to it.

"We are not worried, son. We trust you and know how respectful you are," were their exact words, which brought warmth to Adrien's heart. He had never felt so welcomed before.

In all honesty, Adrien expected his father to disagree with his chosen stay. It wasn't that Gabriel disliked the Dupain Chengs, but he had made it clear that he wanted Adrien to have friends of his social status, and while the Dupain Chengs weren't poor, they were nowhere close to the financial state the Agreste's were.

With that said, Adrien was shocked when he received a call from his father's assistant stating that Gabriel was impressed and proud of his choice and a car would be by to drop off his belongings within the hour.

The blonde couldn't believe his luck. It took everything in him not to jump with joy then and there. Things were finally looking up for him. Adrien had a feeling that this Christmas would be the best one ever. Adrien's smile had not faded since then. He was more excited than a kid opening their first present on Christmas morning. His stay with Marinette was his Christmas present, and he loved it.

Adrien was happier than he had ever. He never imagined that this day would turn out the way it did, but he was glad it did. Nothing would ruin his happiness. Not Chloe's attitude and definitely not Nino and Alya's teasing.

Adrien couldn't wait for Christmas. Christmas with Marinette.

Adrien looked at the clock and bit his lip. It looked like his happiness was short-lived. As the school day came to an end, the tension between the bluenette and the blonde began to build. Adrien couldn't understand it. They had been laughing and joking like best friends during lunch, but Marinette seemed withdrawn now.

Marinette sighed. The closer it got to the end of the day, the more nervous she seemed to get. To the point where she began to stutter again, so she decided to stay silent. A silence Adrien picked up on immediately. He wondered if Marinette had changed her mind. Maybe she'd rather spend time with Luka.

Luka, yes, Luka Couffaine. Ever since lunch, Adrien couldn't help but think Marinette would rather spend time with the musician. It felt like things changed after she received the call during lunch. With it, the name and picture of the guitarist. Maybe they had gotten back together. Maybe Luka didn't like the idea of Marinette spending time with him.

"Marinette, are you okay?" Adrien whispered, leaning closer to her ear. The two had sat together in the last class period considering Alya and Nino had left early to catch their plane.

Marinette nodded.

"Look, if you changed your mind, it's okay," he replied sadly.

"What? No! It's just t-that it- it sucks that Alya and Nino are g-gone," she lied.

Of course, it killed her to lie to him, but she couldn't tell Adrien the truth. How exactly would that go? "No, it's just that I am in love with you, and I now realize that we will be spending weeks together. I am terrified I will make a fool of myself. I don't want the guy I love to hate me." Yeah, that's not an option.

Nodding, Adrien continued to listen to the teacher. He didn't quite believe her. It was more than obvious that her words were not the truth as their friend's departure didn't bother her that much before, but he wanted to trust her. Nothing would ruin this Christmas for him.