Animals On The Loose

(Y/n) POV

It's been several weeks since that rescue in the jungle, I've contacted the Wild Kratts crew a couple of times when I've been allowed to, but I just need to focus on my mission. About two weeks ago, I was assigned by Uncle Sam to help patrol and train new rangers at a wildlife sanctuary in southern Africa. I am on patrol in a jeep driving along the perimeter electrical fence, which only has enough electricity to deliver a slight shock depending on the animal touching the fence, not permanently harm them, but I come across some disturbed vegetation. I stop the jeep, get out and check the fence, and come to find something has climbed or broken through the fence and left a little bit of it's fur behind.

(Y/n): Oh boy. *grabs radio* (L/n) to HQ. (L/n) to HQ. Over.

HQ: HQ to (L/n). We read you. Over.

(Y/n): We have an escaped lion. Check the power to the fence and check the lion's tracking implant.

HQ: Affirmative. Be aware, that lion is a danger to any people that might be out there in the bush.

Ranger Rogan: This is Ranger Rogan on the southern side of the park and we also have no electricity in the fence and an escaped baboon.

HQ: There must be a damaged powered relay plate from somewhere.

(Y/n): I'll take care of all three objectives. In the meantime, get maintainence to fix the fence and increase park security. I have a bad feeling about this.

HQ: Yes sir. Right away. Over and out.

(Y/n): *thought* Alright, three objectives. Find and capture a wild lion. Find and capture a wild baboon. And fix the electricals for the fence. Each objective is in a different direction, so which first. *out loud* Well, that's obvious.

I go back to the jeep and grab my backpack and rope and some emergency flare canisters in case I need an assist, I'm reluctant to carry a gun nowadays, but I can't help but take my desert eagle sidearm with me as well. With my gear, I hop over the fence and head North going after the escaped lion first.

Because of the rough terrain of the open savannah, I've ditched the truck for a horse, the original all-terrain transport for at least 6000 years. I ride north for 15 minutes before picking up a familiar, yet worrying smell on the wind. I stop the horse at the top of a hill and pull out my binoculars and scan the landscape.

(Y/n): *thoughts* Yup, there's a smoke stack. Looks like someone's camping there and it smells like they're cooking food. And that's like ringing a dinner bell for a lion. *out loud* I need to get over there.

I dismount and tie my horse to a nearby tree where it'll be safe, but away from the smell of cooking food. Then I approach the campsite and look again into the camp from a distance and see someone...

(Y/n): *thoughts* I had heard there were animal reasearchers in the area, that must be one of them. And nothing attracts a lion like meat over an open flame.

Now I have two options, I can, either, build a boma, which is where I get lots of dead branches and thorny bushes, and make a ring around that campsite. It's a natural defense against predators. Or I can just take that food he's cooking and take it a long way from camp.

Deciding to be proactive about catching this lion, and because there's an incoming storm near the relay power station, I approach the camp.

(Y/n): Hello to camp!

The man turns around and stands as he sees me approaching.

Researcher: Hello. Can I help you?

(Y/n): Sorry about this, but there's a lion on the loose, I need this.