41| Family Life

It's only been a week and the boys have settled down well

It's only been a week and the boys have settled down well. Their parents are on trial today so I hope we hear something soon. I don't want to give those boys away, they've been a ray of sunshine in our home.

They love Monkey, the cat, and they love the garden. They've been playing ball games all day and night.

It doesn't seem that they want to go back to their home, the progress that they've made here is astounding. Marco is going to the trial to explain how the boys have been ever since they've moved here.

So, I'm getting the boys to help me with the gardening. Miles is already full of mud but Malaki is still quite clean.

"What's your favorite flower?" Malaki asks with a smile.

"I think mines are daffodils, they're very pretty. Do you know what yours is?" I reply.

"Mines are daisies!"

"Well, mines are roses cause they're colorful" Miles replies in the background. I let out a soft chuckle before my phone started to buzz.

"One second boys, I'll be back out soon."

I walked into the house and answered the phone.

"Hello?"

"They failed their drug tests, they're trying to send the boys into adoption. Can we adopt them?" Marco tells me, my heart pounding through my chest. How do I tell the boys the news?

"Of course Marco, what the hell is happening?"

"I gave my testimony and showed evidence that they're doing better, with school and their health."

"Okay, ask them if we could adopt the boys and maybe we'll be their legal guardian" I explain. Marco agrees then hangs up. I looked outside to see the boys fighting over a ball.

"Stop it!" I scorn them. "Remember, take your turns!"

"Sorry..." they both say on cue.

I look down at the floor, trying to think of a way to explain the situation. "Can you boys come and sit with me for a second?"

They both look at each other before obeying my question. They sat down beside me, waiting for me to tell them.

"Do you guys like staying here?"

"Of course it's super cool" Miles says, Malaki then buts in by saying "and you got us toys."

I chuckled at their remarks before going back to what I was saying. "How would you two feel going back to your home with your parents?"

"I wouldn't like that." Malaki says immediately with a lot of passion.

"You're more like our mother...are you kicking us out?" Miles nervously says.

"No, of course I'd never kick you out! It's just...your parents can't get you back. We're going to try and became your legal guardian." Explaining the situation to the boys shattered my exception of family life. I thought it was easy and your motherly instinct will shine through, but it's not always like that.