Twenty Five

She knocked a second time, but there was still no answer. She glanced around before trying the doorknob. It turned right in her hand.

    She pushed the door open and glanced inside. There were no lights on, but neither were there the last time she showed up at his door.

    She closed the door behind her and stepped farther inside. "Hello? Eli, are you here?"

    When no answer came, she continued to walk forward. His kitchen was immaculately cleaned, almost obsessively. Out of curiosity, she took a peek in his fridge. Wow, nothing.

    It would explain why he never ate or drank in front of her. Did he really need to?

    "What are you doing here?"

    She spun around to see Eli standing in the foyer. At least he wore a shirt this time.

    Refusing to be flustered by him, she took a defensive stance, planting her feet and crossing her arms.

    "You said Katrina's here, and that she's planning something big."

    He began to walk toward her. She gasped and dropped her arms, backing away quickly.

    He stopped right in front of her and lifted his hand to touch her. Her back hit a wall, and she tried to tell her traitorous heart to slow.

    He took a piece of her hair and let it slide between his fingers, keeping his gaze locked on hers.

    "You're hair's wet."

    "I took a shower."

    He leaned in even closer, and she was afraid she wouldn't be able to draw in a breath.

    He sniffed at her hair and clothes before pulling away. He turned abruptly and opened his fridge, before pulling open a drawer and grabbing a carton of eggs.

    Without looking at her, he said, "You smell like him."

    Rose floundered, her cheeks reddening, and her eyes found their way to her feet. "I spent the night."

    Her words didn't break his concentration.

    "You're hungry."

    She crossed her arms again, gaining back some of her lost confidence. "Who are you? Mr. Observant? I didn't get a chance to eat before I left."

    "So you came straight from his place to mine. Well, that makes no sense."