53. History

James holds my gaze for a long moment, preparing himself for what he's about to say.

Anticipation wells up in my chest as I wait for him to start. Not because I think his trauma is a fairytale for me to sit and enjoy.

It's not.

But I'm getting to hear a piece of his past that hardly anyone knows. Another hidden side to him. I want to discover all his sides, no matter how dark some of them might be. I want to know and love every part of him, not just the pretty parts.

Finally he starts. "Growing up, the five of us were friends: Danny, Emily, Liana, Kendra, and myself. Nothing could touch us. We were inseparable," he starts, getting a distant look in his eyes. I imagine he's being transported back to that time in his life.

I knew he and Emily were childhood friends, and I figured he and Danny had known each other for a long time. But to think that Kendra and James knew each other growing up is a shock to me. And if I'm being honest, it makes me a little jealous.

James continues. "Emily, Danny, and I have known each other practically our whole lives. Emily was four and Danny was almost a year old when I was born. Our families have been close for years," he says. He's still holding my hand, but he sounds miles away.

"Liana and Kendra entered the friend group later on. Some time around third grade if I remember correctly. I attended the same school for the entirety of my education, up until I attended college, as did all of my friends. The North Crest Academy of Excellence." He says the name mockingly with a roll of his eyes.

I laugh. "That sounds awful," I say.

"Oh, you have no idea. We had to wear these awful, ivory uniforms with green accents. It was every bit as strict and pretentious as the name implies, but bullies still exist in stuffy rich kid schools," he adds.

"I was teased a lot for my eyes. The first day Kendra attended school, she stood up for me. That's how we became friends," he admits hesitantly.

"My parents weren't very happy that I was spending so much time with a girl rather than studying, but I never listened to their frustrations."

"When my father passed away, she was there for me in ways other people weren't," he says hesitantly, like he's afraid the words will wound me.

I know we didn't know each other back then. I was just learning to navigate my new place in society as a debtor. James is practically royalty. Our paths never would have crossed back then. Still the words sting a little.

"When we were fifteen, Kendra and I fell in love. At first, everything was perfect. But the more I got to know her, the more I began to realize how bizarre some of her behavior was, and I was never alone in her parent's house," he says.

"I grew suspicious, but I never confronted her. Things went on like this for a while. I was over at her house, having dinner with her family one evening, when the news about the Trinity Estates fire broke," he tells me slowly, thinking carefully about each word he says.

Oh no.

"Her parents immediately spoke up, stating how tragic it was. Her mother even got teary-eyed. But I couldn't help but feel like I was watching a well-rehearsed performance. And as we watched the news, I snuck a glance in Kendra's direction, and I swear I saw a ghost of a smile on her lips."

I swallow, hearing what he's saying but not really understanding.

He stares into the distance for a long time, his eyes burning with anger and pain. "My aunt died in that fire."

"Oh my god," I gasp in horror, tears welling in my eyes.

"After that, I knew I needed the truth, so I purposefully showed up at her house while she wasn't home. Her brother kept me company while I waited for her and when he got up to use the restroom, I took the opportunity to sneak up to Kendra's room and snoop around. I stumbled across a booklet and a journal that both seemed odd so I began flipping through them."