37. Hell

James

When I arrive at the data center in Portenville, everything is in complete chaos. I'm immediately greeted by the director and she gives me the full damage report.

Two days ago, there was an orientation for new hires and during that time, the data center was infiltrated. Fifteen servers were completely fried. Seven Persona employees were injured in the attack. Estimated costs and damages of 7.4 million. Estimated lost revenue of 5.2 million.

All the data that was targeted was government data, which means this is mostlikely the work of a rebel group.

A group like the A.E.D.P..

I think about Erin leaving me and joining them in their cause, and it makes me feel shaky and weak. Like I'm going to throw up. Like I'd be losing a part of myself.

I force the thought away. I have to remain focused on the task at hand.
I hope Mr. Underly is already here because I hate waiting for him. I hate even more that he's involved. It seems like he's involved in everything.

"I see how it is," a familiar voice calls from behind me.

I turn to find Liana Noble stalking towards me, outfitted in a red pants suit and a pair of black heels.

"You only come and visit when things go wrong?" She asks me, flipping her long black curls over her shoulder.

I exchange a quick hug with her, and she kisses me on the cheek. The gesture reminds me of how Erin kissed my cheek a few hours ago when I said goodbye to her. A deep emptiness opens up inside of me then. Fuck, I miss her already and we've barely been apart for six hours.

I smirk at Liana, pushing my feelings aside for now. "That's how it's always been," I retort, folding my arms over my chest.

She gives me a coy smile, her brown eyes narrowed. "It didn't used to be," she replies in a sing-song tone.

Liana and I grew up together. We were... friends with benefits once, but that was a while ago. Almost two years ago now.

"I'd rather not dwell on the past," I reply, giving her a tight smile.

"Of course not," she replies with a laugh.

"How have you been, James?" Liana asks me.

There was a time in my life, not so long ago, when I might have told her I wasn't doing good. But that's not true anymore. I only have Erin to thank for that. My heart aches at the thought of her.

"I've been well," I tell Liana. "How are you?" I ask in return.

She grimaces. "As good as a girl can be in a city like this," she replies, throwing her hands out to indicate the shit show that is Portenville.

I laugh. "Well, nobody's forcing you to live here," I retort.

"Oh, and what alternative do I have? To move back to West Lynfield?" She asks me, rolling her eyes.

"Anywhere Daniel Monroe is, I'm not," she spits back. Of course that's not the real reason Liana moved to Portenville. But we like to joke about it.

I shake my head. "That happened what? Six years ago? And you're still hung up about it?" I ask her, trying hard to stifle my laughter.

She narrows her eyes at me. "He humiliated me on national television!" She replies indignantly.

A laugh escapes my throat. "Yes. Six years ago. Danny apologized, too," I remind her.

She says something snide in response but I don't hear her because I spot Charles Underly out of the corner of my eye.

"Excuse me," I tell Liana before hurrying off after him. The sooner I deal with all this, the sooner I can return home.