Chapter 10

It has been nearly ten minutes since the King and Nicole have stepped into the room and I am still utterly confused. Unlike what Axle did to me, Nicole is sitting in her own seat and is staring down sullenly at her food. She hasn't looked at me since she first entered the room and even when she looked at me then she shifted her gaze quickly like she was ashamed of something. Maybe that something was me. Maybe she wasn't looking at me because I was in the Alphas lap. Maybe she thought I had betrayed her. I tried to get up out of the Alpha's lap when I was slammed back down by his arm covering over my abdomen.

"I thought I made it very clear I wanted no more antics from you, Adelaide?" Axle whispered in my ear.

" I just want to talk to Nicole that's it. I...I promise."

"No, I will talk to the King later to see if he will give us an audience but otherwise, you will sit here and eat your food." I nodded, but in truth, I was tired of eating the food. Humans are given rations and so we get so little to eat that the amounts he is feeding me now are too much for my stomach to hold. But if this is what I have to do to talk to Nicole, then so be it.

After the meal, many of the people at the table stayed behind and began to form a line leading up to me and the Alpha. It seemed to be just an introduction between the higher officials of the pack and their "new Luna." I was introduced to a couple of Beta's and Gamma's but to be quite honest I don't remember anyone faces or names because I was too busy watching the King and Nicole. They were still seated with Nicole refusing to eat. She just stared down at the food with disgust as the King looked at her with some unknown emotion. Finally, after what seemed like hours, the people left, and I looked to Axle with hopeful eyes. He looked down at me and gave me a slight smile, as if I was a pet he was consoling, before walking us over to the King.

"Xavier, I believe that I was unable to introduce my mate to you earlier. Adelaide, this is our King, Xavier. He rules all wolves around the world."

"Yes, I believe the timing earlier might have been too strenuous for our wolves and mates for a proper introduction." He said, lowly. He gave one last look to Nicole that seemed to show how displeased with her before he finally averted his eyes to me.

He looked me up and down as if assessing me. Whatever his test was I seemed to just barely pass as the look of superiority left his eyes. I didn't know wolves had a King. When they had first taken over, I wasn't even born yet. My father had been young when they had revealed themselves and married my mother as soon as the war had started. She had just fallen pregnant with me when he died in one of the battles leading up to the supernatural's victory. After that, my mother passed away when I was ten years old from an unknown sickness but really, I think it was of a broken heart. She had loved him so much that she just seemed to deteriorate without him. Many humans now did not know the logistics of the supernatural's and were only required to learn the rules that they had to follow according to sector they were in.

I shifted my eyes between Axle and the King before finally asking, "May I speak to Nicole alone?"

"No, I'm sorry love but you cannot be trusted. You are unmarked which as well puts your safety in danger." Axle said, gruffly.

"But it would only be a little while." I begged.

"No." He said, sternly.

"I assume you speak of Amora, yes?" The King asked. I nodded slowly before turning my gaze toward her. She was finally looking at me with anxiety coating her face. God, I had never seen her like this. I was usually the one who needed reassurance not her, but maybe being around this wolf changed something in her.

"We cannot leave you two alone. As Axle told you, you both cannot be trusted to make the right decision," at this Nicole glared at him, "however, we can give you some privacy while me and your mate discuss pack business. You may sit here and talk over what you need while Axle and I go to the opposite side of the room."