Chapter 46

By the time Darrel and I finish ransacking the office Samuel is still knocked out and by the time we make it back to the dorms Ava is up and back to normal or relatively. She's pacing the floor and when I look over to Lucas, I can see him giving her an exasperated look. The minute the door opens though her eyes snap to mine and they turn from quick relief to anger.

"Where the hell were you!"

She rushes over to me, and I brace for the impact of her screams but instead of screaming she bodies me in a hug.

"I thought you left me." She chokes out.

My face goes soft, and I wrap my arms around her and pat her back, "Sorry I needed to go take care of something important."

She moves her face away from mine and looks at me in a confused anger, "What did you have to do that was so damn important," there's a pause and then a realization dawns on her face, "you went to see that fucking idiot didn't you."

"I had to. He had our supplies, and we clearly can't trust that he will act with reason. He's just as dangerous as the other beings in this world and doubly unhinged."

"So, you went on your own to go talk to the psycho!"

She starts to check me over and narrows her eyes at the side of my face and my neck, "Fucking bastard!"

She goes to make her way out of the room but Darrel steps in front of her blocking her path. She makes a snarling face, and he looks down at her with a grimace.

"Move."

"No, you won't solve anything going in there. Adelaide dealt with him. I helped. She got what you needed in order to live a comfortable life, so I suggest you listen to her and figure out your issues some other time."

"Fuck you." She spits.

"No thanks."

Ava is about to continue arguing but I stop her with a motion of my hand, "That's enough, both of you. I do have a plan and before we continue with it, I need to make one thing clear. There will be no voting on this matter. You do what I say, and you live. That's it."

Lucas is the one to interrupt me this time with a startled jump up, "What the hell is going on? If someone doesn't tell me, I'm going to go straight to Samuel to get to the bottom of it."

Ava turns around with a sneer looks Lucas dead in the eye, "Really Luke? You gonna go run and tell daddy what we're up to? Well news flash dummy, he's the idiot I was talking about. He's a creep who likes to prey on women and just created a shit storm for everyone here with the tantrum he pulled last night."

He looks at her confused and in disbelief, "You're...you're a liar."

That's when Darrel steps in and comes face to face with Lucas. He gives him a sympathetic look that isn't all there. They must have had this talk before, but Lucas refuses to believe it.

"It's true Luke. I know you wanted to believe he was a good guy but he's not. You have to understand that he's been preying on the women here and destroying lives for a while."

"He's not-"

"He is. Those women in the guarded area. The other mates he has locked up. It's not right. He's been harming them and allowing the doctor to run his shitty tests that probably don't prove a damn thing. I want our freedom as much as the next person but not at the expense of others. Not when we are harming the people we are supposed to be protecting."

Lucas looks down in shame and as irritating as he can be I do feel sorry for him. He looks like he's about to let his emotions get the best of him but then he rethinks it and fixes his face.