Chapter 27

As I make my way across the living room into the dining room, I feel the anxiety rain over me. It's so quiet I can hear the lights working overtime to stay on. Even though all the lights are on in the living room it feels dark somehow and I know it has to do with Axle. He's angry. This is the second day in a row I haven't been here to "greet" him. He told me this was my territory to. That I should see this as my home and that I could leave to explore at any time but somehow, I feel that that was all just for show.

I walk over to the kitchen door where I know he's waiting for me. He probably hasn't eaten yet especially since he's been wanting to spend as much time with me as possible since our first date. I move my hand to push the door open but hesitate, maybe he doesn't know that I'm here? I could just go right upstairs and pretend that I didn't know he was home at all, that Noah didn't tell me a damn thing and I could go to bed without food. I've done it before. I've gone three days with just water and a snack once from my job back in my sector. This will be lightwork. I turn my body to the direction of the stairs and start to make my way over there, but before I can even move one foot I'm stopped by a voice. His voice.

"Come in here, Adelaide. I know you're here."

I fight the fear that's coursing through me and walk inside of the kitchen. I look over to see the Alpha at the head of the table with a drink in his hand. It's resting on the table, but I can tell he's been drinking it, their even seems to be a crystal vase full of the contents off to the side, whiskey or maybe Scotch. He looks like the kind of man who would drink something strong and hard. I look up to his eyes to see indifference. He doesn't look angry or even agitated that I'm late, but I can tell that it's all a facade. He wants me to be trusting of him just so he can whip around and surprise me with his next moves.

"I'm sorry. I'm late. I forgot we had dinner plans tonight."

"Did you? You asked for a simple date. You said you appreciated such things, so I have done so to please you, yet you forget?"

"I-," my eyes grow hard at his accusation. I'm tired of walking around on eggshells around him. He wanted me well than he can have me, "It was an accident. I realize this meant a lot to you and that me forgetting our plans was inconsiderate, but you said this was my territory. I was exploring it. You said that all I needed to do was try and while I may not be happy with this arrangement, I have done everything you asked in the attempt to make this work. You wanted dates and I gave it to you. You wanted to get to know me, so I'm answering your questions. If you prefer me to go back to not talking to you at all I could."

Once the words are out of me, I realize the mistake I made. I'm not usually so quick to irritate. Nicole was the strong one. I was the one who his in the face of danger. Rolled over when someone told me and asked how high when someone told me to jump. I was a pushover. A terrified pushover. But lately, Ava and Noah have made me realize I could be more. Though, I'm starting to think I shouldn't be.

Axle's face darkens as he stares into his glass filled with his vile liquor. I've seen men drink this stuff when they came into the diner. I saw them drink it at the one club I snuck into when I was seventeen. It turns them into monsters who can be unreasonable and dangerous. As I stare at him cautiously, I notice that his eyes seem to flicker from his regular green to an almost black. After a few moments he seems to have calmed down, his grip on his drink has lessened and his stair seems to be calm.

"I'm sorry, love. I know what I told you. I don't mean to make you feel as if you are not welcome to the luxuries of my territory, my wolf can just be.."

"Possessive? Territorial? Because to be completely honest with you I think he might be all of the above and plus."

There's a short silence and then I hear his booming laugh. He thinks I'm making a joke.