Chapter 40

When we make it inside of Samuels office, the doctor is sitting there with a clipboard in his hands. At our arrival, Samuel stands up and smiles at me; when he looks over to Ava, he gives her a tight lip smile which looks more like a grimace and motions for us to come closer.

As we begin to walk closer, I'm stopped just before I get to the chair. Ava's hand is touching my elbow and when I look at her, her eyes are telling me that I shouldn't go any further. It's caution that I can see in her eyes, and I can also see that she's practiced in this look. Maybe one day she will let me know what happened to her.

At our hesitance, Samuel spoke up, "You're free to sit down. This may take a while. I apologize for only having one extra chair. I can have someone bring in another for-"

"That's alright, we'll stand." Ava cuts him off with a curt tone.

Samuel makes a tight-lipped face and blinks for a moment. I can see the irritation run past his face, but he mirrors it with a forced smile.

"Alright then, well I have the doctor here because he will be directing us for today's proceedings."

"What do you mean? He did our check-ups, I thought he was just a general doctor." I speak up.

"He's actually a beginning scientist. We were able to get him here before he was completely restricted from his learning after the takeover."

I still at his words. I knew those check-ups weren't regular. There's no way that we needed that. He did nothing for us. We were helping him.

"So those check-ups, they help you understand things about the supernatural's that why you do that work-up. Why Lucas told us about mates being irritated and their emotions flaring when too far away."

"Yes, I was able to deduce that as time went on. We have some other mates here who I was able to learn that information from." The doctor speaks up.

"I see."

There's a staring between me and the doctor. I can tell he's not brainiac and that he's likely scared of his own shadow, but I don't like the look of him. Samuel claps his hands as if to get our attention. I shift my eyes toward him and give him my best regal look.

"Let's get to business, shall we. I've asked you here because Doctor Mainer and I have come up with a solution that we believe will get The Unity a step further in the eradication of the supernatural's. As you know, mates are a pinnacle of their lives. They spend most of their lives waiting for their other half. If we can use that knowledge to alter our reality now who knows what we can accomplish."

"How did you plan to use supernatural's mates? Aren't they highly guarded? It was luck and chance that got you to us and now you want to try again?"

"He's been looking for you." Samuel's voice turns grave, and my face turns white and pale.

"What?"

"Your mate. Actually, they both have been scouring every inch of the world looking for you; T.V. interviews, imprisonments, you name it. If we don't do something they will find you and then they will destroy all the work we've done here. They will take the people here and turn them into their mindless mates. Is that what you want? You want to be his possession?"

We don't say anything. Our faces are pale and when I look to Ava's face, I can't exactly tell what she's thinking. I turn back to Samuel and from the corner of my eye I can see the doctor fidgeting with his pen.

"What did you have in mind?"

Samuel lets out a wide smile and looks over at us both, "I was thinking of doing a conference along with a meeting followed after. The doctor mentioned that if we teased the idea or the sight of you in front of them it would get them to heel in a sense."