Chapter 36: Falling apart

*and if it's real, well, I don't want to know...*

-       Theo, are you ok??

He was shifting his weight uncomfortably from one foot to the other, staring at the floor with a strange look.

-       Yeah.... fine. I need to talk to you.

He muttered.

-       What's going on, what happened?

-       Nothing, uh. I'm leaving.

-       What... what do you mean, what happened?

I walked into the living room, dropped my purse on a console table.

-       I need to leave.

-       To leave, what do you mean? Why? What happened?

It made just no sense.

-       I want to leave. I'm leaving you.

I was like, what... what??

-       Theo, please. It's not funny, come on. Stop it...

I thought he was joking.

-       I'm not joking.

He sounded serious.

My heart skipped a beat.

-       Theo... seriously, tell me at once... what happened?? You're scaring me...

He didn't reply.

-       Theo what happened??

I tried to walk to him, but he pulled back.

-       Nothing happened. I just... I don't want to be with you anymore.

I couldn't process his words.

-       Theo... I-I don't understand. What's going on? What's wrong? Look, I'm... I'm sorry, If I've done something, I didn't mean it... just tell me what's wrong...

-       I just want to go. I've made up my mind.

It was unreal. It didn't make sense.

-       Theo, please. Tell me what's wrong... I'm feeling sick.

-       Nothing's wrong, just. Well, you work too much.

-       What the... yeah, I mean, I-I work too much, we work too much! You're right, ok, ok, I know that. It's just a few months though, and our internships will be over...

I tried to caress his arm but again, he pulled back.

I started thinking that after Covid, maybe he had been getting into some kind of burnout.

He couldn't take our crazy rhythm anymore.

-       Theo, I'm sorry. Really, uhm... we're both exhausted, I know. Forgive me, I didn't realize just how much.

He walked to the door.

-       Theo... Theo, stop, please, where are you going?? Theo, seriously. Seriously, please. Stay here, talk to me. I'll take some time off, I promise.

He looked for his keys in the bowl.

-       Theo seriously.... I'm calling them. I'm calling them, ok? I'll take a day off tomorrow.

He found the keys.

-       A week off! A week off. I swear. We'll go on holiday somewhere. We'll take a break. I know we've been putting it off for too long! I'll call tomorrow, I'll find an excuse.

-       It's too late now.

-       Theo, God... what are you talking about... too late for what??

He couldn't give me an answer.

-       Theo... have you knocked your head, do you have a headache, a fever??

We just had a case of a young man who had suffered from a personality disorder after an autoimmune encephalitis.

I started to fear the worst. Maybe Theo was sick.

-       No, I'm fine. I don't have a headache. I just want to go away from you.

I was in shock. He was speaking in a weird way; muttering, more than speaking.

-       Theo, please... I'm sorry if I have been too busy. I'm here now, talk to me. I'll take some time off work, as long as you need. I swear!

-       It's too late now. I feel nothing for you but pity.

He feels "nothing for me but pity"?? What the hell is going on...

And his voice was so weird.

And a weird, emotionless expression in his eyes.

Staring at the wall behind me, while talking to me.

He really looked as if he was having a psychotic breakdown or something.

I was seriously worried now.

-       Theo, I love you. I love you more than my own life, please. I'm worried. Sit here for a moment and tell me what's going on, you don't look alright to me...

He kept staring at the wall behind me, looking... absent.

-       Theo, Theo. I'm here, look at me... it's me.

I tried to wrap my arms around him.

-       It's alright, just... let's sit down and talk, ok??

I wanted to see if he had some kind of neurological alterations, like, in his pupils or something. Had he been taking drugs? Was he having an encephalitis? Or just a terrible case of burnout??

My mind was racing. I didn't know what to do.

-       I love you Theo, please, take a seat for one minute.

He shook his head.

-       I don't love you. I don't want to be with you anymore. I've made up my mind.

Everything sounded so... emotionless. Scary. That wasn't Theo...

My head was spinning, and I was feeling sick.

He picked up his backpack, and opened the door.

-       Theo, please... it's pouring, stay here, where are you going...

He didn't listen to me.

-       Theo seriously please, please. I'll go out. I'll sleep in the car, ok?? You stay here please...

He was going out alone, maybe in the middle of a nervous breakdown-or something worse. Encephalitis? Head trauma? ... brain cancer??

I had seen so many nasty things in my professional life; my mind was now racing through every possible dramatic scenario.

-       Please Theo, take the car at least... Theo please please don't go, don't go take the car...

I tried to grab onto his sleeves, to physically stop him.

He was stronger than me, and he eventually pushed me back.

Slammed the door on my face, and left.