Chapter 31

Just as Tona had said, the dark army was indeed gathered in the Oasis.

There was not a single nixie within sight as the Slumber Serpent had taken up almost all of the space in their dwelling. The creature remained as it was when it first fell - asleep and snoring loudly causing the ground to tremble at intervals.

Waverly was on the opposite side of the ocean on a small uninhabited island overwhelmed by large rocks and thick fruticose that lined scraggly pathways. She lowered herself in her hiding spot. The island was so small that one could walk no more than seventy steps to arrive the other end where the sea lapped and licked bleached rocks and blades of grass.

Day was breaking fast. The red and violet tint in the sky slowly gave way for the sun to spread its warm tendrils of yellow across the ocean. Waverly watched and waited as more of the dark army came pouring in. They were leaderless now and had no camps and so they simply lingered near the water, making sure to avoid the snoring serpent. The magnificent creature was on their side - the only obvious reason why their noises was far from a bother to it.

As the sun began to rise, Waverly did as well. She clearly remembered what her mother said right before she had left her on the rocky island.

"Tipping the battle scales now will take more than just your strength. You have to use wisdom."

Waverly sat utterly still for hours afterwards pondering over what Alluna had meant. Luckily, as the first light of day appeared, she began to understand. Although she felt doubtful and a bit wary because she feared that what she translated the goddess's words to mean could be different from what it truly meant. It was usually that way with deities.

Nonetheless, she needed to try. And there was that tiny voice in her head that kept reassuring her that she was doing the right thing. Waverly had grown to trust that voice strongly ever since Luna had encouraged her to embrace it.

She rose and walked to the edge of the island where a few cut-out stone steps led halfway down to where the icy cold water splashed against strewn boulder sized rocks. Waverly climbed down and sat on one of these rocks so that small waves rolled in and crashed against her lower body. Yet, no creature sighted her in the open.

She drew in a calm, steady breath. The knowledge of what she needed to do hovered in her mind like a halo. The time had finally come to request an old favor; one she was offered a year ago by the most unexpected ally. A friend she met leagues and leagues beneath the waves.

"Lord Gayl." She began quietly. "If you can hear me."

Get up. Her inner voice commanded.

Waverly slowly rose to her feet. At that very moment, a creature of the dark army spotted her and gave a loud, piercing wail. She could not see it but guessed it was a Banshee just by its cries.

"If i find favor with you now as i did when you deemed me worthy to behold your presence and your realm. . ."

The dark army became agitated. They gave great shouts and fired arrows at Waverly but as a result of their sudden upheaval, no dart hit the mark. A group of Outcasts began to rile up the Slumber Serpent by poking it with spears. They could not cross over the ocean themselves and the creature was their only hope of destroying the enemy that stood on an island more than a hundred feet across.

"I humbly ask that you grant me this simple boon." Waverly looked down at the rolling waves, her heart pounding in her chest.

Use wisdom. Fight fire with fire.

"What i demand is not beyond your abilities nor beyond that which is expected of you as an Elemental godhead."

The Slumber Serpent awoke but its eyes, wherever it was on its head, remained shut. It reared to a slow vertical stand and the dark army cheered for it, ignoring the quiver of the earth beneath that unsteadied their feet and inclined their bodies to knock against each other.