Chapter 7

The sun was up as usual, but the heat became more bearable.

Waverly sat down near a large rock in front of a noisy stream, throwing grapes into the water. She plucked off another grape and threw it. Before it fell into the stream, a Nixie leaped out and caught it, plunging back into the water as quickly.

Waverly was not startled. She had visited the spot for over a week. It was her new favorite place to sulk and throw things to her satisfaction. The Nixies did not seem to mind her presence as long as they got juicy fruit out of it.

She had skipped training so many times that it began to feel strange whenever she walked back to camp and saw the Tyros swinging their blades at one another in the test battle ground. Phyllis had tried on several occasions to squeeze out whatever was bothering her, but Waverly kept shut and never spoke to anybody.

In fact, no one seemed to notice her, or waste their time picking on her anymore. They had indeed tired out at last.

She moved like wind at camp – going in and out and in again without notice. She sometimes practiced on her own by the stream, but her will to keep on did not last. Diarmaid even tried to convince her to continue learning archery to which she had bluntly refused and walked away.

Ever since Aurora's arrival, everything had changed drastically for her; she did not get to spend time with Diarmaid and Dermot as much as she used to, Brijjet was nowhere to be seen, camp was boring, and even the NeverEnd did not seem so hot anymore. At least the smoldering heat would have given her a reason to take a stroll with Dermot.

She threw her last grape and drew her knees close to her chest, shutting her eyes to listen to the bubbly chatter of the Nixies underwater. She opened her eyes again and reached for her hair that had grown all the way to her neck. It was not her style to sport long hair. It was too much of a bother to maintain. She pulled out her short sword, and in two slices, her hair was chin length again.

"I wonder why you always do that to your hair. I think it is lovelier to wear it long." A familiar voice said.

Waverly frowned and stood up quickly, letting her last fistful of hair scatter to the ground and toward the stream.

"Mother?" There was a look of surprise on her face.

Selene rolled her eyes knowingly. "You truly do not think I am limited to visiting only at night, do you? I can walk under the sunlight just as much as you can."

Waverly sighed and sheathed the blade then returned to her sitting position. Selene walked over and plopped down next to her.

"Sometimes. . . you do not behave like a proper goddess." Waverly commented with a pout, earning a sudden, ringing laughter from Selene. It was the first time she ever heard her mother laugh.

"And how, tell me, does a proper goddess behave?" Inquired Selene in a tone of amusement.

Waverly glanced sideways. "Like. . . royalty."

"And how does royalty behave?"

She fidgeted. "They do not sit on the ground."

Selene chuckled gently. "Hmm. Then, I fear they have no idea how satisfying it is."

Waverly ruffled her hair and little pieces scattered about her neck.

Selene began to nitpick at them.

"Will you tell me what is bothering you?"

"Is that truly why you came?" She asked quickly, meeting her mother's gaze. "To know what is bothering me? Or is there another reason?"