Chapter 9

"Are you sure about this?" Waverly asked. In her deepest heart, she knew Phyllis was telling the truth and nothing more.

"I am." Phyllis replied. "It is possible that I could be wrong, but there's plenty of evidence everywhere. Breathe in deep and hold it."

Waverly inhaled deeply. The air seemed to move about in her chest, enabling her hold her breath without difficulty. It was a refreshing feeling – one that she likened to drinking chilled water on a hot sunny day.

She exhaled. "That was strange."

"See? You couldn't do that every other day. Juniper has to be here." Phyllis said. Her pointy ears stuck out of her purple hair and flicked slightly whenever she mentioned the goddess.

"Is there a reason why she has come now?"

Phyllis's face fell, and she suddenly looked very disturbed. "That is the frightening bit, isn't it? Juniper has never been seen or heard in so long, and all of a sudden she's here. . . seeing the King. I hope it is for a good cause. I have to admit that I am a bit afraid."

Waverly watched as she paced back and forth, her armor shining like polished abalone.

"I wonder if she has come because of the broken border, or because of some message she has to deliver. I don't know. If that was it, she would have sent her messenger instead."

Waverly frowned. Something finally clicked in her head.

"Do you think they will let us into the palace now?" She asked.

Phyllis looked at her as if she wore a shoe on her hair. "No. No they will not. We are Tyros. We will not be allowed to go in there without a senior Commander."

"A senior Commander." Waverly repeated and immediately thought of Brijjet, but then again, he was probably with Aurora inside the palace. The thought made her angry. She needed another way to get inside without any notice.

Just then, a poof from behind made her turn

"Oh, friend Waverly. I finally found you, I did." Cassiope squealed.

"Hello, Cassiope." Waverly waved. "I was just thinking about you."

Cassiope did a backflip, but remained hanging upside down. "You were? That is sweet, but I was not thinking about you, I was not. I was thinking about my mistress. She is here."

"Juniper is your mistress?" Waverly asked frowning.

Phyllis scoffed. "Mother Nature! Cassiope is a plant, duh."

"Oh yes, the purple hair understands. I have never seen my mistress before. I have only heard endless stories about her, I have. Oh, I wish dearly that I could see her. I would be the first in many many many generations."

Waverly turned to Phyllis. "How many people know of this?"

"By now? Everybody! The whole realm is buzzing about it." Phyllis replied then turned and headed back into camp. Waverly and Cassiope followed closely.

When they emerged out front, the place was indeed teeming with soldiers from other camp sites talking over one another and whispering numerous things at once. Amongst the crowd, Waverly easily spotted Brijjet.

She ran up to him and held his arm. He turned and smiled faintly.

"Is it true?" She asked.

"I can't say for certain." He replied, shaking his head. "The only people who can truly confirm this rumor are the guards who escorted her to the palace, but even they are yet to come out. It has been well over five hours now."