Chapter 3

A lot of things went through Waverly's head; the first being that Lizzeth was still alive though pallid. It gladdened her that nothing fatal had happened to the girl, but it also brought up a lot of questions in her mind.

The voice of the Elf Lord snapped her back to present.

"Give the court a truthful account of what transpired between you and the accused."

Lizzeth stared at Waverly in a way that the latter could not translate. She was not sure if the servant was afraid, angry, thankful or resentful.

"I was bringing to the prisoner a food basket and wine in courtesy of Her Majesty, the Queen, as consolatory gifts for festivities of The Floom. I was going to take my leave after delivering the items when this Human said my name. It surprises me because I had never told her my name. She warned me not to go to the river when evening came. I never told her that this was my intention either. When I i questioned her on how she had known these things about me, she gave no reasonable answer and only pleaded with me further to put off going to the river. I left the prison and came straight to report the experience to Her Majesty."

"The council has heard you, Lizzeth. Young girl, do you plead guilty to said accusations or not?"

Waverly let her eyes drop and answered clearly. "Guilty."

"Very well. We will proceed to allow His Majesty. . ."

"Hamaliel." The King interjected.

"Your Majesty?" The inquisitor bowed.

"My Queen will say now something of importance in tis matter." Continued the King.

Waverly looked up, squinting to stare at the throne. Immediately, she noticed a second chair next to the King's. It was deep red and encrusted with precious stones on its head frame. A white haired woman sat on it, but her features were unclear.

The Queen's voice was even gentler than her husband's, and when she spoke, Waverly felt that she was being relieved of every single one of her crimes from childhood till that very moment.

"I would like for my servant to tell the court exactly what happened down at the river last night."

Waverly's gaze returned to Lizzeth quick enough to see the girl fidget and swallow nervously.

"You heard the Queen." Hamaliel prompted.

"I went down to the river with my fellow, Miniel. We wanted to watch the Floom that night." Lizzeth paused, staring blankly at the dividing board as if something dangerous was painted on it.

"Carry on, my dear." Hamaliel encouraged.

"After our swim, Miniel suggested that I return back to the palace and to my duties, and he to his. We had already left the river when I realized that I had forgotten my palace necklace. I entreated Miniel to wait for me while I went to retrieve it, but. . . there, I misstepped on the rocks and fell into the water. I hit my head and fell into a daze, and could not swim. I c-could have died, but Miniel came back to fetch me when he noticed I had taken too long. He pulled me out of the river."

Waverly suddenly understood why Lizzeth looked so pallid. She had indeed fallen in the river, but there was a second presence that had rescued her. Her chest fluttered – the vision had indeed happened, and because of her little twist, Lizzeth's life was saved.

The room was utterly silent, but the Queen's voice broke it rather soothingly.

"And what exactly did you tell me, Lizzeth, that this Human had pleaded with you to do before this happened?"

Lizzeth's bright eyes met Waverly's multicolored ones. "She pleaded that I take someone with me if I still intended to go to the river."

Silence dominated the room again.