Chapter 29

A loud groan came from Waverly as she slowly rolled over, head spinning and pushed herself to her knees. The surrounding was quiet save for the sound of the distant sea and croaks at intervals from the bushes. A series of short quivering gasps came from her throat when she caught glimpse of Brijjet lying face down a few walks away. His bow laid chipped by his side and as Waverly approached, she saw that he made several attempts to crawl away but would weakly bump against the ground instead.

She lifted a hand, channeling as much healing energy as she could. She hurriedly rushed to his side and grabbed his shoulder. It seemed he was stabbed with the horn of whatever creature had snuck up behind him and he bled thick, dark red blood.

Waverly felt her ears burn and her chest threatening to split open. She recognized when blood was tainted with poison and Brijjet's was heavy with it.

"I can fix it. I can fix it." She repeated delusively, trembling with fear. She attempted to touch Brijjet's stomach where the other end of the scraggly horn half protruded but he suddenly grabbed her hand.

"Don't." He groaned.

Waverly wriggled her wrist free and made a second attempt but Brijjet grabbed her hand once more.

"Let me fix it, please. I can! Let me!" She half screamed, tears leaking down her cheeks.

"I know you can. But you shouldn't." He said.

His head lolled back but Waverly placed one hand underneath it for support, her leg balancing the rest of his upper body. She rested her free hand against his face, wiping the blood that constantly trailed from the corner of his mouth with her thumb.

"I will. You can't tell me not to." Waverly replied in defiance. Her hand blazed silvery white but before it could rest on Brijjet, he grabbed it. It was surprising how strong his grip was even in his weakened state.

"You need to understand, moonshine." He said calmly. "Because i do now."

Waverly began to cry and Brijjet pulled her into an embrace. She felt him take fistfuls of her hair, stroking them and letting them go in wisps then repeating the action. His labored breaths fanned the side of her neck.

"One of us has to stay behind. . . and kick that ancient bullfrog out of Jud, back to where he belongs."

"Why can't it be both of us?" Waverly asked, her voice breaking.

"One has to derail, remember?" Brijjet asked.

Waverly slowly moved her head back to look at him full in the face, her senses dancing in alert - it was the second time they were being so close. His nose gently brushed against hers but she kept still and focused on his glassy eyes instead. They looked bold and beautiful even as he neared death.

"I told you it was me." He whispered knowingly.

Waverly's lips trembled as she recalled the second line of the prophecy given by the old High Dakritonian Priest.

"I don't know what to do."

"Yes, you do." Brijjet chuckled. "You have always known what to do. You are stronger than me, than you even know. You need to go on and finish this once and for all. It has to be you."

Waverly rested her forehead gently against his face and cried, tightening her grip around his torso.

"I am so sorry." He weakly continued. "You were a good friend to me and i wasn't to you. For that i apologize."

He brought Waverly's hand close to his face. She lifted her head in time to see a bright green spectrum escape his skin very quickly and absorb into hers. Strangely, her palm began to feel heavy.