vii. our monkey man

Elizabeth and Bella pulled into the diner parking lot to see Mike and a few of the other boys fooling around outside

Elizabeth and Bella pulled into the diner parking lot to see Mike and a few of the other boys fooling around outside. "Arizona. Yo, what's happening?" Mike asked as Bella got out of Elizabeth's Volvo. Elizabeth got out and unbuckled Landon from his car seat in the back. "So, you and Cullen, huh?" Mike asked Bella. "That's... I don't like it. I mean, I don't know, he just looks at you like you're something to eat." Bella just looked at him before walking into the diner. Mike turned to face Elizabeth and Landon. "So, the rumors are true." He said, looking down at Landon. "It wasn't exactly a secret." She said before following her sister into the diner.

"Sorry, we're late. Landon's appointment went over." Elizabeth explained, placing Landon in the high chair at the table. "Elizabeth, I ordered you mac and cheese, as always. And Bella, I ordered you the spinach salad. I hope that's okay." Charlie said to his daughters. "You should order one for yourself next time." Bella said as the waitress placed their food down. "Cut back on the steak." "Hey, I'm as healthy as a horse." Charlie defended himself. "Say, Chief, boys want to know. Did you find anything down by Queets River today?" The waitress asked.

Charlie sighed. "Yeah, we found a bare human footprint, but it looks like whoever that is is headed east so Kitsap County Sheriff is gonna take over from here." He explained. "I just hope they catch him fast." The waitress said and walked away. Charlie looked out the window to see Mike shaking his ass. "Looks like your friends are flagging you." He said. Bella turned around before turning back around in disgust. "It's okay if you wanna go join them." Charlie said. "And ditch you? No way." Elizabeth said, digging into her mac and cheese. Landon peered around Bella and started laughing at Mike.

"Let's turn in early." Elizabeth said, diverting Landon's attention back to his fries. "Me too." Bella said. "Bella, it's Friday night. Go out. Looks like the Newton boy's got a big smile for you." "Yeah, he's a good buddy." Bella said. "What about any of these other yahoos in town?" Charlie asked, cutting into his steak. "Anybody interest you?" "Dad, we gonna talk about boys?" Bella questioned. "Yeah, I guess not. I just feel like I leave you alone too much. You should be around people besides each other." "We don't really mind it. I guess we're kind of like our dad in that way.

                                                                                               ***

Elizabeth went and opened the door to see Rosalie, Emmett, and Edward standing outside. "Edward, just be aware that my dad will probably want to shoot you." Elizabeth said, leading them into the kitchen where Charlie and Bella were waiting. "Hi, Charlie." Rosalie greeted. "Chief Swan." Edward greeted him. "I want to formally introduce myself. I'm Edward Cullen." "Hi, Edward." Charlie said and shook his hand. "Bella and Elizabeth won't be out too late tonight. They're just gonna play baseball with our family." Edward explained.

"Baseball? Elizabeth, I can see, Bella, not so much." Charlie said. "Yes, sir, that's the plan." Charlie laughed. "Bella's gonna play baseball. Well, good luck with that." He said. "I'll take good care of her. I promise." Edward said. Charlie nodded before looking over to Rosalie and Emmett. "I know I don't have to worry about the two of you." He said as Bella and Edward left the room. "Go on. Have fun." He continued. "Thank you, Daddy." Elizabeth said, pressing a kiss to his cheek before leaving.

                                                                                                 ***

Emmett drove the jeep deep into the forest to a large clearing where Alice, Jasper, Esme, and Carlisle already were. "Glad you guys are here. We need an umpire." Esme said. "She thinks we cheat." Emmett said. "I know you cheat." Esme countered. "Call em as you see em, girls." Esme said, gesturing to the spot they were supposed to stand. "It's time." Alice called out as a bolt of lightning shot across the sky. She threw the ball towards Rosalie who hit it, sending it flying through the air. "Okay, now I see why you need the thunder." Bella said.

Rosalie started running around the bases as Edward chased after the ball. "That's gotta be a home run, right?" Bella asked. "Edward's very fast." Esme responded. Edward grabbed the ball and threw it back towards Esme who caught it before Rosalie got back to them. Elizabeth leaned down and touched her leg. "You're out." She said. Rosalie cocked an eyebrow at her but Elizabeth just sent her an innocent smile. Carlisle was up next. Alice threw the ball at him. Carlisle hit it and started running.

Edward and Emmett jumped into the air to catch the ball but collided, sending Carlisle home. Jasper was up next. He twirled the bat around a couple times before getting ready. Alice threw it at him and he hit it. Emmett climbed up a tree and caught the ball, sending it back to Alice. "Our monkey man." Rosalie said to Elizabeth who giggled. Rosalie had hit the ball again when Alice was sucked into a vision. "Stop!" She called out. Everyone ran back towards Elizabeth, Bella, and Esme.

"They were leaving. Then they heard us." "Let's go." Edward said to Bella and Elizabeth. "It's too late." Carlisle said. "Get your hair down." Elizabeth quickly pulled her hair out of its ponytail. "Put this on." Rosalie said, switching their baseball caps. Her and Emmett moved so that Elizabeth was in between them, hoping that the mix of their scents would cover up hers. Three vampires soon emerged from the woods. "Stay behind us." Emmett whispered. "I believe this belongs to you." The vampire with dreads said, holding up the baseball.

He threw it towards Carlisle who caught it. "Thank you." He said. "I am Laurent. And this is Victoria, and James." The other vampire introduced. "I'm Carlisle. This is my family." "Hello." "I'm afraid your hunting activities have caused something of a mess for us." Carlisle said, and then Elizabeth noticed that the other vampires' eyes were red. They fed on humans instead of animals. "Our apologies. We didn't realize the territory had been claimed." Laurent said. "Yes, well, we maintain a permanent residence nearby." Carlisle told them. "Really? Well, we won't be a problem anymore. We were just passing through."

"The humans were tracking us, but we led them east. You should be safe." Victoria said. "Excellent." "So, could you use three more players?" Laurent asked. Carlisle didn't say anything. "Oh, come on. Just one game." Carlisle sighed. "Sure. Why not? A few of us were just leaving. You could take their place. We'll bat first." Carlisle said. He threw the ball and Victoria caught it. "I'm the one with the wicked curveball." She said. "Oh, well, I think we can handle that." Jasper said from behind Elizabeth. The other vampires laughed.

Edward went to lead Bella and Elizabeth away when the wind blew, moving Bella's hair. James slowly turned back around. "You brought a snack." He said, looking only at Bella. Everyone crouched down in front of the two human girls. "A human?" Laurent asked. "The girl is with us." Carlisle said. "I think it's best if you leave." "I can see the game is over. We'll go now." Laurent said, backing down. "James." The three vampires left. "Get the girls out of here." Carlisle said. "Go." Edward grabbed the two girls and sped them towards the jeep. 

"I've got it. I've got! I'm alright!" Bella shouted as Edward tried to do up her seatbelt. He quickly sped to the other side and started driving away from the clearing. "What, now he's coming after me?" Bella asked. "Listen to me. James is a tracker. The hunt is his obsession. I read his mind. My reaction on the field set him off. I just made this his most exciting game ever. He's never gonna stop." Edward ranted. "What should we do?" Elizabeth asked. "We have to kill him. Rip him apart and burn the pieces." 

"Where are we going?" Bella asked. "Away from Forks. Elizabeth, you're staying here with Emmett and Rosalie. They'll protect you. Bella and I will get a ferry to Vancouver." Edward said. "We have to go home. Now. You have to take us home." Bella said. "You can't go home. He's just gonna trace your scent there." "Edward Cullen! You drive us to our house right now! My son is there and I'm not fucking leaving him!" Elizabeth shouted. "Just let me get Bella out of here first." "It's my son! And our dad! We have to go back!" Elizabeth yelled. "We'll figure out a way to lead the tracker away somehow. I don't know. But we have to do something."