𝕥𝕨𝕖𝕟𝕥𝕪 𝕥𝕨𝕠

"You hear that?" Sam enquires as himself and bucky walk down an abnormally long drive way, sticking to the sides so they don't get caught. Bucky nods, "looks like she's holding up for now" he picks up his pace. Sam retorts to using his wings and sneaks up ahead, "it sounds chaotic in there..." he stops at the fence as bucky runs to catch up with them. The pair jump over the wall and creep up to the door, taking a deep breath before Sam uses his x-Ray vision to see how many they're dealing with. He nods and looks over at bucky, "it's just the two of them" he whispers. Bucky wastes no time in leading the way through the house, and silently sneaking over to where all the commotion is coming from.

"As I was saying... you should never have came. I'm a powerful man, and the loss of his non existent daughter won't affect him at all" a male voice speaks up, "fuck you..." a very defeated Veda spits back. Bucky looks over at Sam as they wait for the right moment to attack. Although, the sound of a gunshot, followed by another two, makes them jump and run into the room. Veda is on the floor, clutching her lower abdomen as she too holds a gun facing the man who is now on his knees, "the apple never falls far from the tree..." she grunts as Anthony falls forward, his heart stopping on the spot as Veda's perfect aim does the job.

Veda let's out a load groan as she drops her gun and lets her head fall back on the floor, "hey, hey... it's okay" bucky kneels down and applied pressure to her wound. She looks up in confusion to see bucky and Sam towering above her, "what're you doing here...?" Her vision becomes spotty. Bucky looks around for anything useful, "saving your stupid ass, why didn't you tell me about this?" his face is riddled with worry. Sam grabs a nearby table cloth and helps bucky in applying pressure to the wound, "because I knew you'd talk me out of it" her voice is strained. She looks over at Sam, "this is a horrible way to die, seeing your face in front of me..." she smirks. Sam smiles sadly, "shut it, short-ass" he jokes back. Veda grimaces as the sharp pain shoots up her chest, "hang in there, V..." bucky lifts her head and rests it on his lap.

She lets out a staggered breath, "I just couldn't stop myself..." she whispers. Bucky hushes her, "shhh, I know..." he looks up at Sam. The ambulance wailing in the distance seems to be getting louder but it doesn't seem to be getting here fast enough, "he was two steps ahead, he was always two steps ahead..." her eyes become heavier. Sam lightly slaps her face, "stay awake, kid" he shoots bucky a worried glare. Thankfully, a few paramedics come bursting through the door, shouting something in German, "we're right here, veda..." bucky calls out as she's lifted away. Sam squeezes buckys shoulder, "she's gonna be okay, she always is" he speaks quietly. Bucky nods, "that son of a bitch..." he turns to face Anthony, however, Sam stops him from further messing with the man's already dead body.

~

"It is still very touch and go, but your daughter is likely to make it through the night" the German doctor stands idly in front of bucky and Sam and stares deeply into buckys soul. Bucky nods, "she's not my... thank you, can we see her?" He corrects himself. The woman nods before leading the pair into her room, where Veda is unconscious with multiple tubes attached to her pale body. Sam smiles, "y'know, she kinda' is your kid" he pulls a chair up to her bed. Bucky follows suit and shakes his head, "I'll never be her father, I'm just someone who took her under my wing" he shrugs. Sam shakes his head, "you're the closest thing she's ever had to one, and you better keep it that way" he warns. Bucky smiles weakly, "yeah, I know" he nods. They both turn to a comfortable silence, and nap until they receive some much needed good news.

~

"Buck..." Vedas voice is strained as she reaches for buckys hand. He looks up, "thirsty?" He enquires. She shakes her head, "is he dead?" She sighs. Bucky looks at Sam, "yeah" he nods. Veda scrunches her nose up, "this is on me, not hydra and their mind games. I did this because I wanted to..." she whispers, horrified at her actions. Bucky shakes his head, "he had it coming, this isn't on you..." he squeezes her hand. Sam smiles weakly and sits back as the pair talk. Veda let's out a small sob but smiles weakly and sniffles, "you know any good therapists?" She looks up at him. He smiles and nods, "yeah, I do" he squeezes her hand, finally relieved that she's choosing to listen. Even if this is how far it had to go, she's finally choosing to heal, instead of revenging.