𝕖𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥

Part 2

*seven months since Vedas freedom date*

"No way..." Veda runs out of the hut and bolts for the nearest tree, knowing bucky can't climb up it to catch her. Bucky sprints after her and tackles her to the floor, "you know basic Wakandan now, it's about time you go to school. There's still so much for you to learn..." he points his finger. Veda groans, "I know but, come on, schoooooll...?" she shakes her head. Bucky sighs and stands up, pulling her to her feet, "you will start school on Monday, end of debate..." he nudges her back to the hut. She throws her head back, "geez, okay dad..." she retorts sarcastically. Bucky sighs and looks down at her, sometimes he really does feel like a dad...

"Bucky" T'challa, Ayo and Shuri approach the hut. Bucky stops as does Veda, "your heinous" he nods and bows his head at T'challa, as does Veda. T'challa nods, "there has been trouble in New York, the avengers need our help" he slides a case over to him. Bucky opens it up to reveal his arm, "woah, it's new..." Veda gasps as she jumps on buckys back, "what kind of trouble?" Bucky enquires as he holds Veda up. T'challa sighs, "An entity named thanos. He has came to earth to find something called the infinity stones, they'll be arriving in Wakanda any hour now. They need our help" he nods. Veda gasps, "do I get my arm back too?" She smiles weakly, a little jealous that she didn't get hers.

          "Only for precautionary measures..." Shuri slides another, much smaller, case towards the girl, "you won't be assisting if a battle occurs, it's too dangerous" Ayo looks down at the young girl.  Veda sighs, "I can handle it..." she speaks up, "I'm sure you can, but there's no way anyone is letting you fight" bucky sets her down on the ground as Ayo retorts.  Veda sighs, "no arguing, you're not helping" bucky cuts her off. Veda sighs but takes her metal arm, "we match" she smiles as bucky takes his too, "we do" he nods.  She keeps her head down as they approach the hut again, "we're only trying to keep you safe" bucky attaches his arm.  Veda follow suit so the pair now have two arms, "I know, but I can help. I can watch from the trees, or fight... I can do it, I promise.." she turns around. 

         Given that the girl is much shorter than bucky, he kneels down, "I know you're capable of doing all of that. But these wars, the people who we'll be up against, they're not human. It's dangerous. And I don't wanna put you in a situation where you could get hurt" he grabs her hands.  She sighs, "can I at least watch?" She enquires. He chuckles, "we'll see" he shrugs and stands back up, "but you're not getting involved" he pulls her into a side hug. She smiles weakly, "what if you get hurt?" She doesn't let go of him when he tries to pull away. He places a hand on the back of her head, "I won't" he frowns, not understanding where this new sense of worry is coming from.

          Bucky sighs and tries to pull away again, but pauses when he feels the strong grip she has on him, "hey... I promise, I won't get hurt. And when it's all over, we can go fishing in the lake. Yeah?" He kneels down.  She keeps her face away from him, "look at me" he speaks quieter. However, she doesn't plan on doing so. He sighs, "V, c'mon. Look at me..." he gives her a little shake, "earth to Veda" he adds, "Marco" he finally sighs, "polo..." she turns her head to look at him with a small smile on her face, although a few tears may have escaped down her cheeks.  He smiles weakly, "what's with the tears, huh? I told you, I'm gonna be fine. We both are" he nudges her arm.  She shrugs, "but what what if you're not?" She frowns.

          He reaches up to wipe her tears away, "you don't need to worry about that, because everything is gonna be okay" he nods.  She sighs, "and then we'll go fishing" she nods.  He smiles, "of course we will" he stands up, "c'mon, no more tears now. Let's go make milkshakes" he walks into the kitchen. She smiles and follows, "grab the milk" he gathers the cups, "promise you won't leave me?" She ignores his request and raises her hands so she can hang off of his metal arm as he closes the cupboard door. He holds his arm out as she hangs off of it, although he doesn't know what to say. He didn't know she was this scared to lose him...

"promise me..." she looks up at him as he doesn't say anything. He nods, "I promise" he frowns. A year ago, if anyone told him he would be looking after a child, a child whom he'd do anything to protect, he would've thought they were joking. But now it's really happening, he can see it's far from a joke...