SIX. (18+)

originally published august 28, 2022

pairing: knight!steven grant x fem!princess!reader x knight!marc spector x knight!jake lockley

series summary: you were a princess who would rather be anything but a royal; he was the knight her father forced her to marry—a true match made in hell if there ever was one. but, as the wedding inches closer and closer, it seems that, perhaps, your father had finally done something right by you.

chapter summary: feelings get weird when you're in isolation.

word count: 3478

warnings?: 18+ MINONRS DNI, a little angsty, fluff, smut, unprotected sex, a little bit of fingering, a little cockwarming, pet name (dove), not proofread

You weren't sure what was a worse fate—hiding in the safe house after Benjamin tried to have you killed or hiding in a hotel room with 24/7 security and next to no access to the outside world

You weren't sure what was a worse fate—hiding in the safe house after Benjamin tried to have you killed or hiding in a hotel room with 24/7 security and next to no access to the outside world. A part of you, the naïve part perhaps, had thought you might be able to return to the palace after Benjamin's plot was revealed. Why should he get to stay in your rightful home? His actions barred him from holding the throne ever again, regardless of if you were the true heir to the throne. The law was clear: If any member of the royal family attempted to kill, or succeeded in killing, an heir to the throne, then that member could never sit on the throne. While it was still contested that you were the heir, you were still an heir. Benjamin's actions had consequences. He needed to pay for them.

Alas, Benjamin remained in the palace. Jessica's investigation had revealed important information, but Parliament still needed to conduct its own investigation to verify her findings. Removing a king from the throne was a big deal unto itself. Add into the fact that the perceived-heir was not the actual-heir? That everything the country had been preparing for when the powers of the crown were passed down needed to change? Parliament couldn't mess this up, they couldn't get this wrong.

So, you held your tongue and waited in the hotel room, wasting your hours away by staring out the large windows that overlooked the capital. In the early days of your imprisonment as you so affectionally called it, you had watched the news. But now, you couldn't stand hearing people call Charlotte a liar, call Marc a manipulator, call you an innocent victim of people who wanted to use you to gain wealth and power and connections. You were a victim, sure, but you were neither Marc's nor Charlotte's victim. Some people just weren't willing to face that. You supposed some people never would. A consequence of the circumstances that would likely never be remedied.

It, perhaps, wouldn't be so bad hiding away in the hotel room if you had company. But your fiancés were still in police custody—a precaution, just in case they did have something to do with it all. Layla was being questioned, too, and spent most of her days down at the police station being interrogated. After all, if this all was a lie, she should've been in a position to protect you from the manipulation. Or at least, that's what people were arguing on the news. Jessica and Charlotte, and even Karen had to give their sides of the story. While you weren't close to them, it nevertheless narrowed down your list of people to speak to even further.