TWENTY.

originally published december 4, 2022

pairing: knight!steven grant x fem!princess!reader x knight!marc spector x knight!jake lockley

series summary: you were a princess who would rather be anything but a royal; he was the knight her father forced her to marry—a true match made in hell if there ever was one. but, as the wedding inches closer and closer, it seems that, perhaps, your father had finally done something right by you.

chapter summary: things get better.

word count: 4,029

warnings?: benjamin, pet name (dove), not proofread

After the threat made its way into your hands, security at the palace increased tenfold

After the threat made its way into your hands, security at the palace increased tenfold. Well, actually, that was a bit of an exaggeration. Security had increased, sure. But not enough that it would draw attention from the public. The threat needed to be taken seriously, but you, Yelena, and Layla had agreed that word could not spread that you were taking the threat seriously. To do so would give credence to the people who wished to hurt you. They may do bigger, more dangerous things. You couldn't afford to take such a chance. So, you did things quietly. Layla increased the training security personnel would go through. A few more guards were added to the rounds. More thorough logs were made of who came in and who went out of the palace, of who got very close to the palace. And you...You had decided that it was time to add two more personal bodyguards to your team.

You had kept just who you were hiring close to your chest. You knew immediately who you wished to hire, and you had extended them the job offer as soon as you made the decision to expand your team. But they hadn't yet accepted. You didn't want to go blabbing about who you wished to hire until you were sure it was a done deal. Which, of course, meant that you hadn't told your fiancés who specifically you had your eye on. They were miffed, and you understood. You had no real reason to not to tell them beyond superstition. But this superstition had a strong hold on you, and you couldn't figure out any way to loosen it.

"I worry that there's no amount of personal guards you can hire that would keep you completely safe," Marc said.

You looked at him. Marc was sat on the corner of your desk, his back to the door, fully facing you. You reached up, placed your hand on his knee. You rubbed your thumb back and forth. "I can't deny that. But I also cannot deny that just having Layla by my side will suffice. I'm in a far more public position. There are more eyes on me and, where there are more eyes, there are more targets."

"Then I'll go everywhere you go," Marc said. "Yelena, too. That's already three people. How's that any worse than you hiring two complete strangers?"

"Because you and Yelena can't always be with me. A personal bodyguard is hired for the explicit purpose of being by my side at any and all public engagements. I would be remiss if I thought it appropriate to shoehorn my fiancés into such a position." You reached for Marc's hand, bringing it to your mouth. You pressed one, two, three kisses to his knuckles. "Besides, who said I would be hiring two strangers? You should know I only hire people are, first and foremost, qualified, but second, people who I can trust. I can't afford anything else."