NINETEEN. (18+)

originally published november 27, 2022

pairing: knight!steven grant x fem!princess!reader x knight!marc spector x knight!jake lockley

series summary: you were a princess who would rather be anything but a royal; he was the knight her father forced her to marry—a true match made in hell if there ever was one. but, as the wedding inches closer and closer, it seems that, perhaps, your father had finally done something right by you.

chapter summary: things become more serious.

word count: 3,512

warnings?: 18+ MINORS DNI, smut, oral (m receiving), piv, unprotected sex, pet name (dove), not proofread

There was a pit in Marc's stomach as he watched the cameras being set up. He knew this was something he, Steven, Jake, and you agreed to. He understood that this was, perhaps, the only real way to deal with the issues with the media. But that didn't negate the feeling of nervous burrowing deep within his bones. He didn't want to be fronting for this. He wanted to retreat into the headspace, let Jake or Steven take the reins, and only front again when the dust had settled.

The system and you agreed that the interview should be held at the palace. You thought it would be best because, if the press caught wind of you and them going to a news station, it would only add fuel to the fire. It was, after all, much easier to sneak people into the palace than to sneak people out of it. Besides, Karen didn't require very much for her interview. Three cameras, a few people to operate everything, other things Marc lacked the technical skill in to identify...Not a lot by any means. Still, though, as he watched, he got more nervous of what was to come.

Karen could be trusted, sure. Plus, the interview was not going to be live, so there was not as much pressure on the entire thing. And yet, Marc found himself worrying about the worst possible endings. Would you use all of your support from the public? Would you be pressured to hide your relationship from the public? Would it worsen the threats being made against you? He could handle anything that came his way, that came the system's way, but when it came to you... You had already been through too much to have to feel anymore heartache.

Marc was pulled from his thoughts as he felt you squeeze his hand once, twice, three times. A small smile curled across his face. He looked at you, seeing the concern brimming in your eyes.

Your brows were knit together, your voice was soft, as you asked, "Are you alright with this still? I can ask Karen to reschedule or cancel if you no longer feel comfortable with this."

His heart swelled. He loved how concerned you were for his, and Jake's and Steven's, comfort. Marc had never experienced something quite like this before. Layla, his only real relationship before you, had shown concern and love and all that came with it, but he always got the feeling they both knew it was something temporary, that it wasn't something that was meant to last. With you...He found himself wanting a future with you. "I'm fine. We all are," he said, lifting your hand to his mouth, kissing your knuckles. "Just...anxious, I guess. I never spoke on camera before. The only time we'd done something like this, it had been Jake fronting the entire time."