FOURTEEN.

originally published october 23, 2022

pairing: knight!steven grant x fem!princess!reader x knight!marc spector x knight!jake lockley

series summary: you were a princess who would rather be anything but a royal; he was the knight her father forced her to marry—a true match made in hell if there ever was one. but, as the wedding inches closer and closer, it seems that, perhaps, your father had finally done something right by you.

chapter summary: the king is exposed, the future is considered, and the past is revealed.

word count: 4,582

warnings?: inaccurate depiction of legal proceedings, fluff, a little angsty, discussion of randall + wendy, discussion of did, pet name (dove)

If Kieran wasn't telling the truth, Jake was going to kill him. He didn't care that Kieran was your brother (and he supposed you didn't care much, either). Jake couldn't stand the idea that you might get hurt again. That Kieran might have been misleading you. That Kieran was trying to build your hopes up just so he may tear them all down again. Jake said as much to you.

After Kieran left and Steven let Jake front while he tried to calm down, Jake couldn't stop himself from declaring a string of threats toward Kieran. But when he saw the look in your eye as you stared at the door, he stopped. You wouldn't say it—perhaps you couldn't—but you wanted to believe that Kieran had a change of heart. So, Jake took you in his arms and squeezed you tight and said nothing. Words, he realized, wouldn't be enough to comfort you at the moment.

Now, as he watched Kieran approach the bench, Jake wished he could hold you like that again. Instead, he settled for taking your hand in his and giving it a squeeze. "You'll be okay, my dove," Jake said, his voice barely above a whisper.

"I want to be more than okay," you whispered back. "I want to be safe."

Sam banged his gavel, calling the hearing into order. "Thank you all for coming to the second day of this hearing on whether His Majesty, King Benjamin should be removed from the throne. We begin today with hearing from Kieran Y/L/N," Sam said. He looked to Kieran. "Please state your name and occupation for the record."

Kieran cleared his throat. "My name is Kieran Y/L/N. My occupation is...Well, it's complicated. For the last twenty-nine years, I thought that I was a prince, that I would be King and I acted as such. In recent weeks...I suppose I've just been a son. I've just been a brother. Not a good one, either. Not a good brother, I mean."

"Could you explain that last statement?" Natasha Romanoff asked.

Kieran nodded. "When I thought I was a prince, I looked up to my father. I wanted to be just like him. Where he moved, I followed. And when he thought Y/N was an embarrassment to the Crown, I echoed his concerns. It wasn't until Y/N was poisoned that I realized I was wrong to follow him."