Chapter 15

This was it. Today was the day. It was almost time for Mr.Rossi to announce the results. My teammates and I, along with the intermediate team were in the indoor arena, waiting for Mr.Rossi.

My palms sweated and my heart pounded in my chest. Paige squeezed my hand tightly. It hurt but I smiled at the gesture anyway and squeezed back. A hush of scilence fell over the crowd of girls and boys as Mr.Rossi walked in, looking professional in black breeches and white polo that showed off his tan, muscley arms.

He smiled at us. "Good afternoon, intermediate and advanced teams!" "Good afternoon Mr.Rossi!" We chanted back, mimicking his words. He looked at us sternly "There are 4 spots on each varsity team. The intermediate team has 11 people on it, currently. The advanced team has 5 people on it. That means, most of you will not make it and will try-out for the varsity teams again next year. Alright! Let's get started!"

My heart thudded. Nicole sent Paige and I a small smile from where she sat with the intermediate team. Mr.Rossi paused "I forgot something! The intermediate team is only aloud to be placed on the junior varsity. Advanced team members can only be placed on the senior team. Does everybody understand?" "Yes!" Some people yelled.

I stayed silent. Mr.Rossi grabbed a clipboard and announced "Junior Varsity goes as follows: Nicole West, Kiera Cass, Josiah Reynolds and Madjorie Brians." Nicole teared up as Mr.Rossi invited them on stage. He pulled out a cardboard box. He let Nicole open it. Inside were Hunter green silk team jackets. On the front it read in cursive: Windsor Preparatory Junior Varsity Riding team. On the back, it had the last name of one of the team members. The first one was Nicole's, so her's said WEST.

My turn. Mr.Rossi grabbed the second clipboard. Megan sat beside me, a stone-cold glare plastered on her face. I prayed she wouldn't make it on the team.

Our newest team member, Taylor Reynolds, Josiah's youngest sister sat beside Paige. Mr.Rossi said "The senior varsity team goes as follows: Taylor Reynolds, Paige Hollister, Alyssa Dow and Eleanor Hastings!" I screamed and yelled, and cried, all at the same time.

After we got our team jackets, I dialed the one person's number who I knew I had to tell.

"Hi Mom!" I said happily as she picked up the phone. "Hey Ellie-Bear, How's boarding school sweetie?" "Great! So what's up? Our teams going to nationals and I made the advanced team!" I added. Mom responded eagerly "Oh, Dad and I are so proud of you! Great Job Sweetie! We knew you could do it!" "And....I made the senior varsity team!" I answered back.

Mom squealed "That's fabulous Honey!" I heard her tone sadden as she said that. "Mom. What's wrong?" Her tone took to an incline. "Well, Sweetie, I-It's your father. I'm so sorry. We just found out yesterday...." She began to cry. My heart beat quickened and I could hear it pounding in my chest.

She continued "W-Well, Eleanor, Y-your f-father h-h-has s-s-stage 4 l-lung cancer." She started crying harder. "What? How, why!" I say as I start crying. My mom and I cry with eachother until she breaks the crying fest. "He only has 2 months to live." Mom sniffed, as she wiped a tear away. "Oh my god." I said, shocked.

After we hung up, I went into the stable, crying loudly. I let myself into Elle's stall and mounted her bareback. I layed down on her and fell asleep.