Part 27

Stevie looked around and was taken aback by the amount of boxes on top of boxes of Michael's things in the foyer of her house. She hadn't expected he would have everything packed so soon and she had seemingly only now realized how much of him there was at her home. Even though a week had passed since the wedding that never happened, she told him not to rush. They had only spoken on the phone since then, well, it was mostly Stevie apologizing. When she returned home to apologize to her family as well and stayed until they were on their way home, Michael wasn't there. Once the house was empty, she went back straight to Lindsey.

Lindsey understood, when Stevie told him, she needed to go home for a while. A lot had happened in a short period of time and she just needed a little time and space. He might not have wanted to let her go, but he definitely understood. It didn't take Stevie long to realize how lonely she felt at her own house. Lindsey had been absolutely wonderful to her the past few days and she missed that already, she missed him

Leaving the image of Michael's things behind, Stevie went upstairs and into the master bedroom. She was used to seeing a book or Michael's watch on the nightstand on what had been his side of the bed for years. There was nothing there. She wasn't really sure what was making her so emotional, but she felt tears well up in her eyes. She then walked into the closet and saw only her clothes, shoes there. Taking a deep calming breath, Stevie returned to the bedroom and sat down on the bed. She was ready to call Lindsey and ask him to come pick her up, but she heard the front door open and close. She knew, it wasn't Karen. 

Somewhat afraid, Stevie came out of the room and walked towards the staircase, where she found Michael looking back at her. They weren't supposed to meet. 

"Oh, uh... You're here. You weren't, when I came to pack everything up." Michael spoke up first. "I'm sorry, I can come back."

"No. No, you don't have to do that." Stevie shook her head, slowly making her way down the stairs. "I didn't know, you were coming to- well, I don't know, why you're here."

"To get my things." Michael replied, which she could have guessed. "I'll be out of here soon, I won't get in your way."

"Michael, don't you think that we should talk?" Stevie stood in front of him, hugging herself around the middle. "I mean..."

"Honestly? No." Michael shook his head. "I heard you loud and clear. What else is there to say?"

"I'm sorry." Stevie grasped his hand, when he moved to pick up a box.

Sighing heavily, Michael straightened up and gently pulled his hand away from her touch. He was hurt, but he still loved her. "You know-" He chewed on his bottom lip for a second. "The worst part is that I know you are. I think that maybe somehow it would be easier if you did this out of spite. There's nothing I can change and to be totally honest with you, I wouldn't even try to. I was an idiot. Deep down I knew you were in love with someone else." He shrugged weakly and proceeded to move things out of the house and into his car.

Stevie remained standing in the same spot, watching Michael coming back and going out again. She hated that she hurt him, but she was an idiot too to try and deny her own feelings.