Part 5

Lindsey didn't think that he would hear from Stevie again just days after their conversation over the phone. She sounded more at ease the second time they spoke and he was relieved there wasn't so much of that uncertainty and hesitation in her voice. I'll stop by if you don't mind, she said. He couldn't wait to see her. 

"Now listen, Will." Lindsey began as if his 6-month-old son was going to reply. "We've dressed you up in a really nice clean shirt." He tugged lightly at the sleeve. "We have a very special guest coming over to see us, so please do not drool on your clothes right away, okay?" Will just stared at his father with his big blue eyes. Lindsey sighed. "I'll pretend you understood me." 

With Will on his hip, Lindsey walked out of the bedroom and down the stairs. He had just made sure the boy was secured in the playpen when the doorbell rang. Taking a deep breath, Lindsey checked his appearance in the mirror one more time, smoothed out his shirt and reached for the handle. 

Neither of the two really knew where to begin. They stood in front of each other for a moment before Stevie's lips turned into a small smile and Lindsey opened his arms for a hug.

"I'm so happy that you're here." He said, holding onto her tightly.

"I'm happy I'm here, too." She nodded and pulled back, keeping him at arm's length. "I'm sorry, I disappeared for half a year."

"You don't have to keep apologizing." Lindsey shook his head and invited her in. "It'd just be nice if you didn't do that again."

Stevie laughed lightly, laying a hand over her heart. "I promise not to."

"Someone's waiting to finally meet you." Lindsey grinned and reached for her hand without even thinking about it.

Stevie tried to look like she was completely fine as she followed him, fully expecting to find Kristen holding William in her arms. She didn't. 

"This is the special guest I was talking about." Lindsey lifted Will up and pressed a kiss to his cheek. "This is Stevie, she's been Daddy's friend for a hundred years."

"Hey!" Stevie's mouth fell open. "We're not that old, Lindsey."

He smiled, glancing at her. "And this is Will."

"My God, he's precious, Linds." Stevie gushed, looking at a mini version of him. 

"I think he's alright, yeah." Lindsey joked, he walked them to take a seat. "Would you like to hold him?"

"I-I... I'm not sure, I know how. I haven't held a baby in forever." Stevie gulped.

"You're not going to break him, he's not a doll, you know." Lindsey said and seated Will in her lap. "See? You're alright."

Lindsey watched Stevie interacting with his son and a sad smile settled on his lips. Things could have gone differently if they'd only tried hard enough. They could have had it all if they spent more time loving instead of hating each other. He sighed.

"May I ask?" Stevie turned her attention to Lindsey, snapping him back to reality.

"Uh, sure." Lindsey nodded. 

"Is Kristen around? I really don't want to, you know... see you three being a family. Not yet." Stevie said honestly. "I need some time to get used to it."

"Well..." Lindsey inhaled deeply. "Kristen, she's..." He paused, unsure of how to put it into words.