Chapter 2 - Coming of Age

Who I Am - Citizen Soldier 

Chapter 2 - Coming of Age

 " Oh, don't you look lovely." Her stepmother gasped, standing behind her in the mirror, and Mira smiled. Her dark hair was braided elegantly with strands of gold, and dark pink, blue, and white flowers, while her gown was the color of a sunrise, a mixture of shades of purples, pinks, and blues. A band of gold was wrapped around her forearm and a necklace of gold hung from her neck. This wasn't the dress she would be wearing, not until after the celebration.

The dress she would be wearing was an A-line with lace cap sleeves and a deep V-neck, the skirt of the dress was so long that it dragged the ground behind her when she walked. It was white, as was the tradition, and was paired with a band of gold that she would wear in her hair and pair of matching gold heels. 

Mira was turning 18 the following day, which meant something new for the kingdom to celebrate. Her coming of age. Tonight, at the stroke of midnight, she would be granted her official title before the eyes of the nobility by the Three Eternal Sisters, and her true purpose would be known.

" Are you sure we shouldn't wait another year." Her mother spoke up, and her stepmother gave her a look." And send every home when they just got here? Go against tradition? No. Mira is a woman now, and as such she must be allowed to flourish, just as we did."

" But are we sure she is ready for such responsibility?" She questioned, and Mira frowned at her." Mother!"

" I'm simply worried for you. My sweet child is all grown up, forgive me for not wishing to let you out of my sight just yet." She sobbed, and Mira moved to embrace her mother.

" Do I get one to?" A voice asked, and they pulled away to find her father standing in the doorway, dressed in a dark grey suit. Mira smiled before moving forward as he opened his arms to receive her. " Happy birthday, my ray of light."

" Thank you, father." She responded, pulling away.

" Alright, alright. Now get out." Her stepmother said pushing him back out of the room." She has to get ready and only a limited amount of time to do it." He tried to say something else, but the high queen slammed the door in his face and turned to face Mira and her mother who shared a smile before turning back to the mirror.

" Men." Her stepmother scoffed. 

" Tell me about it." A voice responded and they turned to find a young girl with chin length pale blonde hair and midnight blue eyes perched on the windowsill. She was dressed in a dark colored tunic and brown hunting boots. A bow was hooked to her back, the handle of a hunting knife could be seen poking out of her boot and hanging at the center of her forehead was a silver crescent moon with a rounded gem at its center. The inside of it shimmered like someone had captured a moon lit night sky and sealed it inside. 

" Allison, I didn't think you would be back before sunset." Thier stepmother said, and Mira took notice of the leaves in her hair and the fresh dirt on her boots and guessed that she had just returned from the forest. When your girlfriend was the Lady of the Hunt, it was hard to stay away. " Is Oraia with you?" Mira asked.

" She's downstairs." She blushed, before grinning and slipping to the floor." I wanted to see my little sister before she became miss important and everyone else swarmed her."

" Not like that you're not. " Mira's mother said, crossing her arms, and Allison made a face looking down at her clothes before rolling her eyes. " It's just a little dirt, who's going to care?"

" Out." She ordered and Allison shrugged, casting Mira another smile before jumping out the window, leaving the same way she came. 

" Now, quickly slip into your other dress before we receive another interruption." Her mother pressed, and the young princess let out a sigh disappearing behind the changing screen.