Chapter 10

[Tommy's pov]

I knew Ranboo's been lying to me, but I wasn't sure why. He's been acting differently since weeks ago but I didn't say anything until Monday. I'm worried for him, not to mention he ignored all six of my calls. I brought it up to Tubbo and then Techno.

"He's probably still asleep," Techno said, after sending a message to Dream in Discord.

"Are you joking?" I asked rhethorically. "It's almost half past one."

"Maybe his phone died and he slept while charging it."

"Maybe."

[Ranboo's pov]

I woke up, covering my mouth as a yawn escaped my lips. I felt sick to my stomach but I ignored it. I looked beside me and saw Riley sound asleep. I took her phone --- that idly laid beside her --- to check the time.

<13:35>

I squinted my eyes at the sudden brightness of the screen, then unlocked her phone. I went to the phone settings and changed the time from 24hour to 12hour.

<1:38PM>

I put her phone back, getting up from the bed. Slipping my phone in my pocket, I crept to the door. My dad wasn't in his room and the house was quiet. Peaceful. I looked in my room and saw that the wired cables that were connected to my PC had been cut. Well, there goes my peace. My computer doesn't switch on now. I sighed, I was genuinely upset. I winced at the agony my stomach felt before taking out my phone. I switched it on to see 6 missed calls from Tommy and a few worried texts. I called him back.

"Ranboo," he spoke, his voice was soft and laced with surprise.

"Hey, sorry I was asleep."

"Are you okay?"

"What? Y-yeah I'm fine, why?"

"Please don't lie to me."

"I'm okay, Tommy. What's wrong?"

"Yesterday you said you had to go because your cat dropped a vase," he said, his statement sounding like a question.

"Yeah, what about it?"

"I'm not dumb, Ranboo. I know you don't have a cat. You've always wanted one."

"Yeah, my dad bought-"

"No, you can stop lying to me. I-I just...wanted to make sure you're alright. If you need help or anything..."

"Tommy. If I really needed help, I'd tell you, okay?"

I heard shuffling over Tommy's end of the call, then he sighed.

"Can you please promise me that?"

Hesitantly, I gave in.

"I...I promise."

"Sorry for calling you too many times. I just got worried."

"It's alright, thanks for caring."

"You're my best friend," Tommy said, and I could hear the smile in his voice. "I will always care for you, dickhead."

I chuckled lightly.

"Well, before I let you go, you should probably message Tubbo or give him a call."

"You told him?"

"Yeah, just that you weren't picking up."

"Oh, okay."

"Alright. Talk to you soon, king."

I let out a rueful sigh and a smile after hearing the dial tone. I went downstairs to make food while on a call with Tubbo.

"I didn't know you could cook!"

"I cook all the time honestly," I said, then regretted being honest.

A sense of unease from the silence at Tubbo's end of the call sent a shiver down my spine.

"You told me you barely cook the other day."

"N-no, yeah, I meant barely cook for my family."

"Oh."

That's an outright lie.

You only cook for them, and never for yourself.

The voices were true. Dad's not working as it is and sure, I was earning money from streaming. However, having to pay rent, buy groceries while taking care of my sister costs a lot. As long as I'm alive and healthy to take care of Riley, I won't prioritize myself.

Tubbo hums along to a playlist of Spotify songs while I cook. I was paranoid my dad would return at any moment, I'm so glad Tubbo was able to stay on call while I was cooking. He had to go right after, so I didn't stop him.

I paced back to my sister's room. Creaking the door open, I noticed she wasn't on her bed. The door wasn't locked, the bed's not made and her phone was still where I kept it.

"Riley?"