Chapter 6

CW// liquor drinking, smoking.

[Third pov - flashback to a week ago]

Randy woke up in his cold, dark bedroom. He had been sleeping since noon, hallucinating and dreaming in loops. The voices were bad; the pictures were frequently worse. He remembered how he had promised both Raina and himself that he would quit drinking when Ranboo was born, but he broke that promise once when she died and decided to fuck his life up. However, the longer he stayed sober, the more old memories surfaced and he didn't want that.

Raina was the love of his life; the only one who truly understood him. She was diagnosed with COPD (lung cancer) a few months after Riley was born. She didn't want her children to worry about what was happening to her. She didn't want them to worry that it would take her life. Riley was never the reason of her mom's death but Randy lied to them about it, saying that it was her fault.

He stared at the ceiling blankly. He was alone, yet the room didn't feel empty to him. The voices he heard were a remnant of the dreams he'd been having. He wanted to drink. If he drank, the voices won. If he didn't, he'd suffer. He would be losing either way. Randy got up and left his room, then left his house. Sleep was done for tonight.

Before he started driving, he lit a match. He put a cigarette in his mouth, then had to chase it with the match because his hands were trembling and so were his lips. After driving for about 40 minutes down the highway, Randy spied an old bar with flickering neon lights above it. He felt an insurmountable urge to go in, and didn't fight it. It was open round-the-clock anyway.

He felt bad, sure, but he was sober for a week and it had done no good to him. It only made the hallucinations more intense. He decided that if he were to drink, he'd do it as nastily as possible. Randy loosened the cap of a green glass bottle he had just bought, taking a deep breath before sipping it. He smiled, missing the bitter taste of Heineken beer. He bought plenty more different bottles after that one and his addiction to drinking worsened.